Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Studying Pathology - clffgfr
Can anyone please help me?

When people say they are using Rapid review they do they mean the typed up lecture notes that go with the lectures or the actual Goljan books (Systemic and General Pathology)

I am reading and reading with qs but there is still a lot to read!

Also is BRS pathology any good?

Please reply. It will also help many others.

Thank you and best wishes.
As I understand it, Rapid Review usually refers to the book by Goljan. Yes, it is a lot of material, but try to read it alongside the audios. It will come to life and be more interesting to you...if you know what I mean. And the facts will "stick" better.

RR is a good source to read for pathology. It needs perseverance. It is really easy to get frustrated with it and put it down. Just keep plodding through it. Read it at the time of day when you feel most energetic...like early morning, if you're a morning person.
I think it is more interesting than Kaplan. Do you agree? Smile I'm not telling you not to read Kaplan, though.

I have not read BRS Pathology. Can't give my opinion on that one Smile

Best Regards.
By the way, when do you take your test?
Thanks psychmledr,

Is RR the one where things are typed up word to word what he says in the audios?

I dont think ill be using Kaplan for Pathology. I hope this will be ok "_

Am aiming to give exam end of august early september - most likely the latter though. step.1@hotmail.co.uk

BTW thanks for your repsonse you are very kind - i've read your other posts too - God bless ya and wish you all success in your studies.

Keep posting its a real help to me and many many others.

Hi clffgfr
Thank you for your kind words. God bless you too.
RR is an actual book of Pathology, and it is available in pdf format.
The word-for-word notes are the transcript of the audio tapes. I have not tried using those with the tapes, even though I have them. But I have read the experiences of others who have used them.
It is really your decision. Look at the material and the amount of time available. But I advise you not to read less just because of time constraints. Make sure you cover all the material.
Some prefer to skip the audios. I highly recommend listening to them. They help integrate the material for you. If you have time, then listen frequently. Download them on an MP3 player and listen while you do other chores, if possible.. but not while you™re driving Smile
Let me know how you™re doing.
psych i'm followin the goljan audio transcripts in pdf format is it nough or do i hav to hear the audio files as well........?
since the discussion is on, how much in detail do we need to know the lecture notes??
i mean do we need to memorize every word of all the chapters, coz that seems quite a daunting task!! or just having an overall idea of his lectures would be enough??
Hi guys
@devareddy,
You're saying you're reading the transcripts only, am I right?
Well, to explain my point, I'll just give you a personal reference here. I am "an auditory learner" I prefer to LISTEN to lectures. I will read too, but I understand and retain more when I also listen.
So, it is really your decision. If you can glean and retain information by reading only, then you can certainly follow your preference. Most test-takers agree that listening to the audios has helped them a lot.

@urapain2me
The point in listening to (or reading) the lecture notes is to learn the concepts-the most favorite word on this forum..and I'm sure you've caught that by now.
You don't need to memorize word for word, although, like in all other subjects, there are some facts that have to be memorized. The step 1 questions are not about writing down memorized information.
The audio lectures bring those concepts to light, AND help you to "integrate" concepts from different subjects on step 1.
I hope this helps.

Good luck to you guys, and to all on this forum Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »