Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
practise usmle world question - tanequil
A 68-year-old white man comes to the office because of progressively worsening right groin pain for the past month. You last saw the patient 3 months ago for preoperative assessment for a total right hip replacement. For the past 5 years he has been treated with inhaled bronchodilators for emphysema resulting from an extensive history of smoking cigarettes. The patient is widowed and has lived alone in a mobile home since his wife died 4 years ago. Vital signs today are temperature 36.8°C (98.2°F), pulse 66/min, respirations 18/min, and blood pressure 110/82 mm Hg. Physical examination shows an unkempt man who appears much older than his stated age. He has evidence of alcohol on his breath; dentition is poor with several broken, loose teeth, and gingival pyorrhea is present. Lung sounds are distant and air entry is poor. Heart and abdomen are normal. There is no hernia present in the groin. With the exception of testicular atrophy, the patient's genitalia are normal. Which of the following is the most likely initial working diagnosis?

1. A.
Iliac venous thrombosis
2. B.
Infected hip prosthesis
3. C.
Occult appendicitis
4. D.
Occult hernia
5. E.
Somatoform disorder

What is your thought process? Can you please explain. Thanks
my apologies.. this is from the practise cases from nbme.. not usmlee world.
I want to take a stab on answer A.

An infected prothesis and appendicities may you give you fever and doesn't give you groin pain.
There are no clues/hints in the question that points to somatoform disorder either.
In terms of hernia his exam is negative and he does not have any symptoms of bowel obstruction.

Because of his history i am thinking iliac vein thrombosis maybe due to immobility. I am sure b/c that can give you fever too.
I will pick B
Answer is b - Infected Hip Prosthesis
Where are you guys seeing that he has fever? He is afebrile!

I thought B because of the hx given. Alcoholic, poor dention, pyorrhea previous hx of preop visit for hip replacement. None of the other choices match the history. The abscense of fever could possibly be because the pt is an alcoholic.
anyone now what this is , i know answer is b BUT REASON
b, because iliopsoas tendon may get inflamed or compressed (these traumatized cells can also easily get mildly/severly infected) causing the groin pain after hip replacement sx

gl

God, look at what I wrote so sorry , about that !
pre exam dementia
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »