Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to xtopher , applicant guide ...plz help - strive_hard
hi !!!
I am an img requiring visa , my yog is 2007
step 1 - 85
step 2 - 81
step 3 - 84 (2and attempt)
1 yr of hands on clinical experience in usa as externships in family med.
chances of residency in 2012 in family medicine ???
any body help plzz

your chance would be 50:50
Go for it. Especially if the family med externships were in places that have residency programs or the individual you worked with has a connection to a family med residency program. You will need those connections. Push those people to go to bat for you. Don't be shy. Contact the PD at the program where you rotated. You should get an interview there just by the fact that they know your commitment.

My wife got a residency after failing both the step 1 and the CS. Her step 1 score was 1 above passing. She ended up passed her ABIM medicine boards with a score higher than mine. So anything can happen.

That being said, you should have a solid back up plan as your scores will hamper your ability to get lots of interrviews. I hope it all works out.
strive_hard-

xtopher's advice is spot on. Outside of USCE and the LOR that comes with it, the opportunity to build the connections you may have made during your rotations is a big reason why USCE is so important to do in the first place. I had a doc from China two years ago that found rotations/research at Cleveland Clinic and despite his concern that he his accent was too thick (he even had a private english tutor) was offered an IV at that program (he, of course, had the USMLE scores to justify it as well).

Your scores alone make you an ideal for, Family Practice. In a small handful of cases I've seen pre-matches on those scores (in each case, at weaker programs that are concerned about filling spots or have had issues with Step 3 pass rates). Where you are from (and the languages you can speak) can also play a deciding factor, especially for spanish speakers.

I'm normally fairly solid at estimating how many interviews you should receive, but without knowing anymore about you and your situation, it would be unfair to you. I will say that I would be surprised if you were not getting ready to start your residency training by this time next year.

Good Luck!
Dr Brian

thanks a lot for encouraging words xtopher and Dr. Brian ... i wish Dr.Brian's come true for me next year, thanx a lot.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »