Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMG/FMG with 233/99 step 1 score - themd109
What residency options am I looking at?
You need to give a little more information such as your year of graduation, research, us clinical experiences, specialties of interest, and any geographic preferences.

Otherwise, it is like asking: "I make $60,000 a year, what marriage options do I have."
out of all available to imgs ie IM,FM, PEDS, PSYCH, NEURO, you shd opt for what you like ..
belleandsebastian,

Well I am a Canadian and will be graduating from a European medical school in 2013 so I will be entering the 2013 match.. I have just begun my clinicals in Europe. During Oct 2012 to Dec 2012 I will try to do 3 months of electives in Canada and the US. I've heard sometimes students get offered interviews at hospitals they have done there electives at (any truth in this?). As of now I have no research experience. I will be taking my step 2 CS in March or April 2012 and my 2 CK and MCCEE sometime in August or September of 2012 - hopefully ready in time to send my application in by mid or end of September.

I am interested in surgery, cardiology and endocrinology (for the latter 2 I think I must get into IM first, correct?)

Hope that helps =D. Thanks!
I think as a Canadian citizen, you should also look into a residency in Canada. Some programs may offer you interviews if you rotated there, but it is not a guarantee.

Yes, you would have to do IM before cardiology or endocrinology.
IM has gotten harder, and surgery is even harder for IMG.

233 is good, but a lot of IMG and AMG would have higher scores going into surgery and even IM. So try to get higher score next time.

From reading this forum and SDN (you should go to that site-it's much more organized, it has moderators), recent graduates from European medical schools esp from the UK seem to do fairly well in terms of getting interviews.
Thanks belleandsebastian. I'll also check out that forum.
Dont mean to sound negative, but your ''cons'' are:

In terms of the US Situation:

1. Regardless of being a Canadian Citizen, you are in need of an H1/J1. Depending on your province, you need to get a ''letter'' that states your services are needed in that province, as to make yourself eligible for J1 class.

H1 is harder to come by these days.

2. Lack of USCE

3. Lack of US LoR's (thus far)

Good luck!

Im a fellow canadian/american.
BUMP!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »