Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 3 part 3 - bosphor
34. A 10-year-old girl has had fatigue and pallor for 3 weeks. Six weeks ago, she underwent aortic valve replacement with a mechanical prosthesis. She is receiving digoxin therapy. Her temperature is 37°C (98.6°F), blood pressure is 100/60 mm Hg, pulse is 115/min, and respirations are 24/min. A grade 2/6, systolic ejection murmur is heard along the left sternal border, and a grade 2/6, decrescendo diastolic murmur is heard along the left sternal border to the cardiac apex. The liver and spleen are palpable. Her hemoglobin level is 4.6 g/dL. A blood smear shows schistocytes. Which of the following is the most likely cause of the anemia?

A) Autoimmune hemolytic anemia

ВWink Digoxin-induced hemolytic anemia

СWink Glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency О D) Hemolytic-uremic syndrome
D)Hemolytic-uremic syndrome

E) Peri prosthetic valve leak
There are signs of aortic regurg, so it could be peri-prostetic leak. How to explain schistocytes here? mechanical damage of RBC because of mechanical prosthesis?
ee0yes i agree with u it will be hemolitic anemia due to mechical valve
I would also go for E.
Answer E ...for me too
Please can anyone send me NBME 3 Q and A? I asked so many times here, nobody sent it to me, plz plz plz anyone plz!

dr.parveen@live.com
http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=301869
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »