Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
androgenINsensitivity vs 5alpha reductase def - shathabisha
someone b kind enough to plz explain the diff betwn 2. mainly clinical features plz...i cld understand hormonal diff. that in androgeninsensitvity theres INCR T,E,LH. in 5alpha reductase def NORMAL T,E.NORMAL/INCR LH...

presentation part abt is it a girl phenotypically, if so then wat else v need to see....plz b kind enough to explain this...
thanks in advance
sm1plz answer this ...i also have same dbt
5-Alpha reductase def.
They are genetically and Phenotypically males ! They have less of DHT so their external genitals are less developed, which is more obvious BEFORE puberty. They have normal testosterone levels, so internal genitalia is FINE, and actually at puberty, due to high testosterone levels, it will enhance the development of external genitalia.

Androgen insensitivity.
They are genetically males, BUT , phenotypically females. Like the name suggests, they have androgens but the receptor is bad, so functionally the androgens are unable to cause the maturation of male organs. Infact, the female organs persist in the absence of male genitalia.

@OP and the 2nd poster,
No disrespect, but I had to read both your messages multiple times to make sense out of it. Its very unprofessional to use "SMS/Texting" slangs. Please get out of this habbit before you get to hospitals/clinics.

OP wrote NORMAL in full, when Norm. is actually an accepted abbreviation. But for Testosterone and Estrogen, op writes T and E !

Whhhooosssaaaaaaaa !
in androgen insensitivity...
they look just like girls until reach 13...and dont get menarche usually
they have high Test. cause of high LH, no negative feeback
and they are found to have testis in labia majora
vagina is rudimentary
their testes are removed coz of malignancy...they usually live as females

the other one 5alpha
they are males...and they live as males...the only issue is there organs are not well developed but at puberty they are fine
they dont have DHT thats why their genitals are small but when at puberty testost hits
they get secondary development!
they are male live like male

hope that helps
i tried to explain in very layman way
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »