Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hydrostatic pressure - usmlemania2011
can someone please explain to me hydrostatic pressure and oncotice pressure ----> capillary fluid exchange...

i thought i got it but when i apply it i am getting the questions wrong...

please help
hey !!

well hydrostatic pressure = fluid [ h2o ] pressure
oncotic pressure = protein pressure within the blood vessel [ albumin, and the other proteins]

so lets take lungs for example.... if u have:
a ↑ in Pc [ hydrostatic pressure of the capillaries ] that means ur interstitial must balance that with its own Oncotic pressure [symbol of pie and letter c than] . so scenario:

↑hydrostatic capillary pressure with no change in oncotic pressure of the interstitial = pulmonary edema because the fluid will get drawn IN the interstitium.
but lets say we do have a ↑ in oncotic pressure of the interstitial with the capillary hydrostatic pressure [ ↑ ] meaning they are parallel to one another then no change = no pulmonary edema

pt comes in with stab wound causing excessive bleeding [ loss of albumin [oncotic]] but at the same time loss of fluids [ hydrostatic ]so thus this patient doesnt suffer from pulmonary edema but now lets say u have a pt with right ventricular regurgitation then u have Back up of fluid in LUNGS which causes INCREASE HYDROSTATIC PRESSURE which will not be balanced with ONCOTIC pressure of the interstitum leading to PULMONARY edema... hopefully this helped goodluck!!!
back of up fluids in lung what i mean by that is back up of BLOOD* sorry.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »