Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme 3, 2, 17 - lamonti
In a cohort study 10,000 men who consume alcohol were compared with 10,000 men who do not consume alcohol. The results show that men who consume alcohol have an increased risk of the cancer of bladder that is statistically significant at 5% level. Which of the following is the most appropriate interpretation of this result?

A) at least 5% of bladder cancers can be attributed to the consumption of alcohol
B) at least 5% consumers of alcohol will develop the cancer of the bladder
C) such as effect would occur by chance in less than 5% of repeated samples of this size
D) there is at least 5% increased risk for bladder cancer among consumers of alcohol
E) men who drink alcohol are 5 times more likely to develop bladder cancer than those do not drink alcohol

Explain ur answer please! Thanks
@lamonti....i too was in doubt while answering this one..but this is what i think...pls jus make sure again...statistically significant at 5% implies that p value is 0.05 or less....therefore the test is significant and null can be ruled out....therefore the probability of it occuring by chance alone is less than 5%

moreover options A B and D E represent Attributable risk, Relative risk and Attributable risk percentage

plz correct me if im wrong...because im not sure...
Aha, make sense now!
Thank you so much Dr Trepinator, Appreciated Smile
@lamonti...i too did nbme 3 recently...got 166 right...my exam in 3 weeks what abt urs????
and i got another doubt nbme 3 blck 2 20 quesn...isnt the diagnsis ALS and why is the answer given E...plz explain if u knw....thanks
Ya, it confuses me too! cos shouldn't be demyelination in the tracts, only motor nuclei. But it was the only logic answer among provided choices :/
C.......
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »