Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preliminary Surgery - osurg
better to just suck it up no matter how painful it is. at least you got matched, it is only 1 year and you can impress during this year and ask for LORs. if you back out i think it will cause you more trouble down the road than just completing the year.
this seems like going in a direction I was afraid of. Thanks anyways.
Yes I agree with you, ready to suck it up, what happens if I don't get speciality of my choice next year? Can I switch to f1? Or any other visa? Thx.
U can't switch to f1, that's a student visa and can't switch to h1. Remember u'll have to even get a waiver post residency
and if you dont get a categorical position next year, then you now have to step outside for 2yrs to do the waiver. Crazy stuff
What I mean is that you cant apply for a PGY1 categorical spot, you can only apply for PGY-2. So if your prog doesnt take you, and no other surgery prog takes you for PGY-2. You cant switch to internal medicine for example and do PGY-1.

Many times it leaves people trapped, and there is still a waiver to it, so if one doesnt get anything, have to step out and be force to stay out for 2yrs.
No, if the program which offers a categorical spot wants the prelim guy to start from pgy1 they write this to DOS and then they can have us start from pgy1.
any info on someone who has withdrawn after matching the one year position?
As much as I know you have two options :

1- Somehow withdraw, then apply next year and most probably you wouldnt even get the preliminary you got this year (one year older grad, PD's REALLY dont like the people who cause problem/trouble, and they are in contact with eachother specially in your case!)

2- Apply for PGY1 or 2 next year , most program LOVE preliminary surgery, they adore it, the good thing is when you apply for prelim surg then you get the maximum of 5 or 6 years (not sure which one) of residency time, so if after first year you change to IM (3 years) so you can have it (1+3=4 still less than 6) , ,,,but if you had got prelim of internal medicine then it is 3 years, so after one year you CAN"T change to surgery (since just two years are left of your time, and you cant even do FM , since FM is 3 years), this is as much as I know..................

always doublecheck with others. about the accuarcy of the information,but this is what I heard.

What makes u to think that next year u will get a categorical or preliminary H1B?
Take the current position and work hard.....and see what will comeout of it. Its better than to wait a year and take up a J1 preliminary again next year and be in same boat. And u most likely already know that very few opport for u to specifically end up in H1 Surgery program....(or u applying for something ekse?)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »