Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
@whatsfordinner - stranger016
http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=762427

for this question,i think the answer is indomethacin(not allopurinol nor probenecid) because pt presents with pain since one day and in acute condition allopurinol and probenecid ar contraindicated ...since the patient has good renal function NSADS are the drug of choice

what u ppl think??
and as sarim explained thats the way to differentiate between the two
I agree.
your going to shake your head and call me stupid when i tell you what happenedSad
lol
i was searching the net for some explanations for the question, instead of typing out the question i thought i found someone else who typed it out and copy and pasted into here and hit submit, not realizing that the question was not the same.. oh boyy...
anyways here the actual question from nbme 6 that i was reffering to and let me know what you think
really appologize for the confusion
a 52 year old woman coems the the physician becuase of pain in her right knee. the knee is red, warm and swollen. serum uric acid conc is 11.4mg/dl. joint fluid aspirate shows neg birefringent crystals. indomethacin therapy is started and she begins a purine restricted diet. one week later, her 24 hour urinary uric acid excretion is 800 mg/day (N=300-600mg/day). Which of the following drugs is most appropriate to decreease serum uric avid conc in this patient.
a)allopurinol
b)aspirin
c)colchicine
d)probenecid
e) sulfinpyrazone

damn tha two questions are so diff don know how i thought they wer the same
you can contact me at

swayne31

Thanks

Stewart
whatsfordinner@for this sarims explanation is perfect
how many more days for ur exam???
tommorrow bro!, im counting hours now not days =o
woah u will be a free in a matter of few hours
all the best and do post ur experience
will do, thanks for the support, sincerely =)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »