Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECFMG Certification - md7
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone would know if it's wise to apply for 2015 match without ECFMG certification on hand. Also, that I'm Canadian. I will be done all my cores plus 1 elective by August 2014. I been hearing mixed answers, that it is better to apply with ECFMG certification on hand. I will be done all my rotations by March 2015 and I have yet to write Step 2 CK and CS. Thanks
For a better chance you need Step 1 score, Step 2 CK and CS scores out by Sep 15. That translates to being eligible for an ECFMG certificate. Even though the certificate is issued when you have been verified by ECFMG with all that process that they go through when you apply with them for sitting exams... so certificate can come later as long as its before rank day.

Hope that answers your question.
I can get my ECFMG certification before I finish all my rotations? Sorry I'm not familiar with the whole process. I read online most programs require the certification by Jan 31st usually.
You cannot be ECFMG certified until you get your medical diploma and in order to receive your medical diploma, you need to graduate and be done with medical school.
I received my ecfmg certification....how do programs know I already have it? I can't update that info on my eras Sad
Eras will update them automatically that you are certified. They won't show your certificate though.
how important is the ecfmg certificate for getting the interviews???
THe most important for IMGs is that they complete all of the steps before September 2014 aka before applying to programs and as early as possible.

If you graduate later on... programs will understand the reason why you don't have your ECFMG cert yet.

But for other applicants that they graduate years before... it will definitely hurt their chances for an IV because most programs on their webpage do specify that you should be ECFMG cert to be consider for an IV.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »