Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take NRMP Data with a grain of salt - fibonaci
The NRMP match data has traditionally been very helpful in gauging future outcomes of applicants in the match. But there are certain biases that skew the data which I believe would eventually be up to the reader to interpret.

1. Not all applicants that ranked their ROL actually attended those interviews, you have free 20 to rank so why not rank anything...you have paid for it....although its almost zero chance of matching to a program one has not interviewed --> this is the most bias i can think of since it one false rank will skew the data widely

2. Applicants reported as matched in one speciality are reported as unmatched in another speciality if the applicant had ranked two or more specialities...i.e. Radiology matched applicant will have unmatched IM data if he applied to both

3. People go into match for the sole purpose of SOAP and not rank anything

But with that said, the NRMP match data is still the closest thing to interpret outcomes of the whole process, no other way. Bias or No Bias. Enjoy http://www.nrmp.org/just-published-nrmpe...graduates/
Great post
Thanks
No problem, overall i think the data is positive and shows predictable trend across different credentials.
Also you must have noticed that in your your own NRMP page, you enter ur scores etc and the they ask if you want your data to be shared for research purposes.........If u click no, they wont do that. I m not sure, but i feel it could also lead to some skew as ppl may not share.

one other thing i noticed in the IM data was that;
the number of matched and unmatched applicants in scores of 230s n 240s range was exactly equal for CK as well as for Step 1 score. Thats a bit more of a co-incidence. Dont yalll think so.

That data gave me shudders as according to it I had 70% chances of matching while i was very happy with my eight calls.

Fingers as well as all appendages crossed. :-)
@acetheboardss, the match data used in the IMG pool is strictly from Match pool, they get and verify the info from our ERAS records. So I don't think that will affect the data. I agree with you on the repeated charts with CK and Step 1 in the score comparing pages....for all specialties. They actually repeated those charts by mistake but the corrected chart is now available. So check out the link above.
@fibonaci 'series'

Yes, but i think if you click no they wont use ur data.
But I just checked both data( NRMP-ECFMG one and the common final list) and u r right, they dont matter much.
US IMGs Out of 868 matched; 841 are in the new ECFMG NRMP list
Non-US IMGs Out of 1708 matched; 1690 are in new ECFMG NRMP list
So very minor difference.

And THANKS for the update on corrected list; i didnt knew that.

The point 2 u mentioned is pretty interesting; i have a confusion

Wont people who match in other speciality(like Radiology ppl using IM as backup) over IM will have that specialty as their preferred specialty. I think ur 1st rank specialty is preferred speciaity.
You're welcome. The point i was trying to make by point 2 was that although people would be reported as matched in Radiology, they will also be reported unmatched in IM IF they ranked both specialities in their ROL or vice versa. So if a person matched into their back up IM program then they didn't really match into their preferred speciality Radiology ... which will be reported unmatched for that person in the Radiology charts. I hope that made sense.
Yeah got it bro, thanks.

Like ppl ranking IM as 1st but being unmatched in IM, they goto Neuro or Peds. So they will be counted as unmatched for IM.

The data paints a very dismal picture..........I am worried for the next 2 months.
Yea exactly @acetheboards. Although the data is slightly biased, remember not too many people fall into those categories. So i think we can reliably use the data but not be too concrete on it.

There is nothing else we can all do at this point, we just have to keep our faith in God, Pray they loved us during our interviews, and prepare for the worst.

Good luck to all of us!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »