Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
program ranking to spots ratio? what is our goal? - blitz
Hey guys....that table from the nrmp that you are referring to is showing a different data. From my understanding (and i could be wrong), the Table 17 on Page 51 is simply telling us "how many candidates were ranked BY programs in order to make sure all their spots were completely filled" and NOT "how far down the program's ROL goes in order to fill their spots" (which was the OP's question).
I think for most specialties (IM, FM, Peds) and normal (non-super-competitive programs), the actual ratio should be close to 1 spot : 3-4 candidates max.
@contusion I can see how you can interpret that from the stats but I dont think thats what it could mean because all the programs I interviewed at when I asked how many theyd be ranking, most programs are ranking a good bulk of the people they interviewed and if the data was to mean the number of people ranked, thats really low. and according to one of the coordinators, programs are recommended to rank at least 10 people per position to prevent ending up with empty positions.
@sys_71082....I seriously hope you are right lol Smile
sys_71082's interpretation is correct.
@blitz:
They ranked only 90sth people on their final ROL and the last one came from 80s. They were a bit worried about themselves on match day ............coz they were close to being unmatched. You know how bad a program looks if it goes unmatched.

They ised to take IMGs >250s. now stopped taking IMGS for the last 2 years. The way ROL goes they rank AMGs first and then DOs/local studs and then their preferred IMGs.
@shore.
How will the name of program help you in verifying it?
Will you call the PC to ask them about her match stats for last year?
Yeah right. So they have 16-18 positions and only ranked 90 people. Great story chap!
Well if the average is 5.7 and this is a good residency program, then I can see them ranking only 90 people....
blitz
5.7 is the average. An average community program may have to rank more people for a single slot and prestigious university programs definitely rank much less
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »