Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need suggestion on how to apply for obsevership - luckycharm
Old IMG (very old)

Score: step1 242, stp2 CK 234, step 2 CS on July 07, will get result on August-September 10 period, all first attempt

Ph. D degree, have been working in clinical research in USA

Green card

20+ publications (first author) including JCI, PNAS, circulation etc.

No USCE

How will the chance be for getting into Pathology next year?

Any suggestions on how to get an observership chance on Pathology?

Any suggestions on how to make the application stronger?

Thanks a lot
No opinion?

Very desperate and discouraged for old age+female+ancient graduation years?

Any suggestion or opinion will be appreciated
you mentioned that you have No USCE , but then you say that are working in a clinical research in USA

if you are interviewing patients and responsible for informed consent or any Hands on Experience then it is considered as a very good USCE and pretty much better than observership, and as far as i know Clinical research with Hands on is the best USCE after graduation.

PHD in what?
what do you mean by very old IMG??

Generally speaking; Pathology is easier for OLD IMGs especially if you have a previous related Graduate degree, your scores are very good.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Master degree in Pathology, work as a Instructor for 3 years in the department of pathology in medical school back in China

Ph.D in physiology (project related to neurodegenerative disease) in Peking University

Research in USA is not directly working with patients or volunteers, it is more like research in transitional science in a lab run by a MD

Old means 15 years after graduation from medical school

How much an observership can help to make the application stronger?

Thank you again for your time
I think your chances are good. Ask your PI (who you said is an MD) for shadowing - it would be helpful if you shadow him/her while he/she is on inpatient service.
Thank you for your suggestion and being positive for my experience

My PI is a Rheumatologist, I'm trying to match into Pathology

But your suggestion is pretty smart

I will try to network through her

Thank you
I am an old IMG too - older than u ! I did externship through FMG portal . I was very satisfied . It is a bit expensive but worth it . They had provided a list of hospitals and I remember there were some in Pathology too . Call them up . Good luck !
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »