Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 3 result delay(this year) and H1B visa - mythri2014
hi all,
hoping for some advice please.
I am awaiting ECFMG certification, got my step 1 results yesterday and applying for FM/IM/Peds for 2015 match.
I know most programs who sponsor H1B need step 3 results by match day at least and some programs need results by 31st Jan.

I read following in ECFMG reporter:

Applications for the current Step 3 examination will not be accepted after 5:00 p.m. (U.S. Central Time) on July 18, 2014.
Applications for the restructured Step 3 examination will be accepted starting on August 4, 2014.
No Step 3 examinations will be administered during most or all of October 2014.
Administration of the restructured Step 3 exam will begin on November 3, 2014.
There will be a score delay following introduction of the restructured Step 3 examination on November 3, 2014. The duration of the score delay will be determined by examinee volume during the early months of exam administration. Based on historic trends, the USMLE Program estimates that scores for Step 3 exams taken on or after November 3, 2014 will be released in April 2015

So the results may not be out until April for who sit exam after 3rd Nov..!!!So am I too ambitious to hope for H1B?

this has made me worry..I donot know when I should I sit for Step 3, I have not applied for it yet, nor started studying as I know it is difficult.

please advice.thanks in advance.
#1 red flag... why are you applying for 3 specialties - do you have USCE and LORs specific to each specialty, are you applying to 3 specialties because your stats low?

#2 assuming you are very competitive, the most likely program that would be able to sponsor an H1B is a university type institution outside the H1B cap, a lot of programs only sponsor J1 (cheaper faster etc etc) so your problem is only a problem if you get into a program that can sponsor you

#3 take the test, its better than taking it during your R1 year,

#4 I think the H1B was more realistic back in the days of the prematch, I'm not sure how prevalent they are now, considering a program only has 3.5 months to fix all the paper work

Finish your exam and worry about this issue closer to match day.
No point taking step 3 if it's just for the H1B visa. All the programs that offer H1B that I've looked at say that the step 3 result must be known by late Feb latest in order to qualify for H1B. By that it means you're out. If you're hard up for the H1B then I suggest you apply next year!
what does USCE mean/stand for?
i got it....USCE = united states clinical experience.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »