Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acute cholecystitis - gogock
what is the management ?

MZB 3 =conservative +antibiotics n surgery after 6-12wk
UW= conservative +antibiotics and surgery within 72 hrs to reduce mortality
UW (I am with you) =)
Kaplan Surgery says, that its better to do cholecystectomy the same day patient arrives to the hospital if its feasible

A 43-year-old obese mother of six children has severe right upper quadrant abdominal pain that began 6 hours ago. The pain was colicky at first, radiated to the right shoulder and around toward the back, and was accompanied by nausea and vomiting. For the past 2 hours the pain has been constant. She has tenderness to deep palpation, muscle guarding, and rebound in the right upper quadrant. Her temperature is 101°F, and she has a WBC count of 16,000. She has had similar episodes of pain in the past brought about by ingestion of fatty food, but they all had been of brief duration and relented spontaneously or with anticholinergic medications.

What is it?
Acute cholecystitis. Diagnosis. Sonogram should be the first choice. If equivocal, an HIDA scan (radionuclide
excretion scan).

Management.
Start medical management (antibiotics, NPO, IV fluids) with the intention of doing laparoscopic cholecystectomy within the same hospital admission.
I just wanted to add/ask.....Isn't the term Surgery between sunrise and sunset a term associated with Ac Cholecystitis??
ya uw also said surgery within the same hospital admission so I think we have to go with that .....Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »