Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q@Q-timed Ð - cardio69
Which of follo..Modification ↑ the working pH range & amphipathic nature of bile acid?

a)Seven alfa hydroxylation
b)Formation of K salts OR Na
c)Dehydroxylation GI bacterial
d)Conjugation to glycine or taurine
e)Esterification

_________________________________72sec____________________________________________
@sarah?
d)Conjugation to glycine or taurine?
I think answer is d but I don't get the ph mentioned here
Hellooo.. I guess its D.. idk im between C n D Sad not clear abt the concept
Hello! Sarah key word on q “Modification” bile acid. Cholesterol –Liver 7/alfa hydroxylase -> synth -1ry BILE acids= Cholic acid & Chenodeoxycholic acid -> GI bacteria/DEhydroxylate -> 2ry BILE acid = Deoxycholic acid & Lithocholic acid. Bile salts/conjugate form of bile acids. Before the bile acids departure from liver-> bile canaliculi, in 1ry bile acid conjugated in liver w AA taurine/cysteine metabolism or acid glycine.
Ratio of glycine to taurine forms ~ 3:1 + of glycine or taurine results in the presence of a carboxyl group with a *lower pKa from glycine OR or a sulfonate group from taurine, both of which are fully ionized NEG charge at physiologic pH -> conjugated/bile salts.
Bile salts are more effective detergents than bile acids of their enhanced amphipathic nature and INC of it in path making them more easily secretable as well as less cytotoxic.

Ans *D*
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »