Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VLDL question. - pcacd001
a 40 yo woman comes to to physician and says she is health conscious and eats only natural organic foods. Fasting serum lab show TG concentration of 380; complete blood count and serum electrolyte are within the reference ranges. The physician suggests that the pt try taking fish oils and a supplement to treat her dyslipidemia. Which of the following best describes the MOA of the most appropriate vitamin for the pt?

a. antagonizes VLDL-cholesterol secretion
b. increases catabolism of LDL cholesterol
c inhibits cholesterol uptake
d. inhibits HMGCOA
e stimulates PPAR- a

I put C , its wrong. many people are sayings its A. but why cant it be E? that is the mechanism of fibrates according to uworld im looking at a chart that says it infront of me. Her HIGH TG count would specify the need for a fibrate correct? im a little confused here, any help would be greatly appreciated.
this is asking MOA of vitamin supplement which is niacin
why isnt fibrates the most appropriate vitamin? fibrates are specific for her high TG count of 380 correct? and MOA of fibrates is C. idk what im missing here
sorry MOA of fibrates is E not C
Is this an NBME Q? If it is, you need to LABEL IT AS NBME and not with a different title.

http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=762739

Hi pcacd,

Fibrates is a treatment for hyper TG. But fibrates are not vitamins.
Usually, you use Niacin after fibrate doesn't work;
Niacin or nicotinic acid inhibits secretion of VLDL in the liver.

The question didn't ask best mode of treatment, but the vitamin…
Answer is A)

You thought about the right treatment but the vignette is asking one step ahead.
keep going!

: )
wow thank you rush2014, much appreciated, i realized earlier as i was typing furiously it says "vitamin" wtf so annoying . . .thanks alot
*************************************NB16*****************************************

@pcacd001 tag them for respect to others
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »