Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I give up? - shamim
Hello Shamim,

never give up..untill you have have exhausted of all options or you dont want to try..
you said this unpaid research job is in an academic institution...i think its a good start..but make some good connections while you work there... if you cannot get a residency spot there..at least you can use your connections to find a spot somewhere...its a long shot but perseverance will pay off...
Good Luck.
You are not competitive for any residency program, YOG almost 10 years, failed CS, low scores on all steps. You should have applied to IM because thats where you have USCE, but your chances are low even there. You should have put more effort on your steps, there is simply no way around those poor scores.
@drbacchi, actually almost twenty years for YOG.
I was aided by a nice IMG PGY-5 fellow that ultimately gave me tips for 100%-Certain Residency Admission success…please urgently email me with heading “Residency Success Query” at dot com. I’ll provide you with Copious Correlated Details in this regard.
@drshawohara, I can give the same tips for free: score high on your steps and get USCE & excellent LoRs. There is no magical way to get into residency, its a numbers game.
Does anyone know how to find a residency in psychiatry if you failed step 1 twice, but passed everything else? I need a contact because my step 1 score was a worse the second time I took it and did Kaplan?
Dr bacchi ,
Wao ur mess is so not posiive at all ..... My friend got less in the scores and she is doing surgery residency in Chicago !!! Where did u get all that ???

pS she is also a IMG !!!
As a PC - I would say try something else. A YOG 18 years ago, combined with low scores (anything below 220 is low not average) will not get you any interviews. Even having a contact will get you only a "courtesy" interview. I would recommend returning to your home country to practice optho or look into nursing, PA, etc.
@shamim - when did you take those step examinations? are you ecfmg certified? and did you take step 3 within 7 years of taking step 1, ck, and cs? if not then you have no chance of matching because you won't even have a chance getting licensed.

also to answer your question about pre-lim medicine it is way harder than categorical since more pre-lim medicine spots get taken by ophtho, rads, anesthesia, deem, neurology, and pm&r residents. so if you couldn't even get a neurology interview there's much less of a chance of getting a pre-lim medicine interview. so if i were you i'd focus on family, psych, and internal

and in terms of unpaid research. it could be worth the gamble if like the others say you make some connections. however, just know that you have to get published in a peer review journal. just cause you show up to lab doesn't mean you'll make connections or get a good LOR. but if you show up and kick ass and publish hopefully more than one peer reviewed article then yes it will be very beneficial in helping out your app
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »