Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian doing Internal Medicine Residency.. - ranklist2015
Hey!
I had a question for everyone. I am a Canadian and I have applied to Internal Medicine with J1-Visa programs. I understand Canada is 4 year medicine residency and USA is 3 and I have to make that year up.

Is it possible to do that 4th year in Canada? Do canadian medical schools offer a chief year? Or would I have to find a chief year residency or do a fellowship in any one year fellowship programs to return back to Canada...

How hard is it to get a geriatrics fellowship coming from a small community hospital?

Thanks
General Internal Medicine in Canada is 5 years. Not 4. with 4 years IM training you will have hard time finding jobs.

Remember in Canada Internists are not hospitalists they are consultants and some jobs pay up to 500K a year. so 5 years.

There is no chief year in canada.
Geri is very easy to come up with.
There is also the repartation year.
Also there is Fellowship in Canada.

Why would you do that though.

Take Pathway 4 if you live in Ontario. You will do 12 month Supervised work. If you want to do General Internal Medicine.
Or take fellowship.

is very doable stop worrying.

One thing you need to do is to join the CSIM, which only happens after 3 month of residency in US. After that you will get more info.

I would take this to Premed101 forum
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »