Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obamacare and medical students - arbeit
Hey guys, I'm a 26 y/o male 3rd year medical student from an international school doing rotations in the US. I wanted to share my experience, and see what your experiences have been thus far.

My medical school does not provide students with medical insurance in the United States, funny enough we do have malpractice insurance. Upon me turning 26, I received an email regarding the Affordable Care Act, and how it was required for me to sign up by Feb 15th. I quickly got on the phone, provided my information, stated I was a full time medical student and my income was zero dollars. I was very surprised when I was told I did not qualify for the affordable care act with a yearly income of zero dollars. I was provided with options, the cheapest was some unknown insurance company who was charging 134 dollars/month with a deductible of 6000 dollars. In other words they were forcing me to pay around 1600 dollars/ year with a deductible of 6 THOUSAND dollars?!! Meaning my regular check ups would not be covered anyways. My other option was to not sign up for anything and take on the risk of being uninsured and pay a penalty fee at the end of the year of 350 dollars or so.

Seriously Obama?!! You'll cover an 18 year old who got knocked up, and is unemployed. However, you will not cover a responsible 26 y/o single male, who will be a future healthcare provider? There's something wrong with the priorities in this country!
If anyone has gone through something similar and was able to find a way to be insured for cheaper please do share.
i have some information but will tell u later because library is closing now
Obama care is not perfect and has problems. As to the knocked up 18 year old, she is covered under medical because she is carrying an infant. That is one of the bug we have in your healthcare system.

As to you the 26 yo male you have to be a US citizen and have some income to qualify for Obama care. In US full time student get insurance through their school or through their parents.

If you were a full time medical student in a US school you will be covered through your insurance provided by the school. Why don't you have insurance through your school?

I think you are not telling the whole story here. You will pay a penalty for not having the health insurance if you were filing taxes in US.

Obama care is not perfect and has problems. As to the knocked up 18 year old, she is covered under medical because she is carrying an infant. That is one of the bug we have in our healthcare system.

As to you the 26 yo male you have to be a US citizen and have some income to qualify for Obama care or folks with no income medical. In US full time studenst get insurance through their school or through their parents.

If you were a full time medical student in a US school you will be covered through your insurance provided by the school. Why don't you have insurance through your school?

I think you are not telling the whole story here. You will pay a penalty for not having the health insurance only if you were filing taxes in US.

I have no reason to lie, this is the whole story. Your parents can not continue to cover you after the age of 26. I have no problem with them providing healthcare coverage for the 18 year old or anyone else in need for that matter. I do however have issues with them prioritizing their needs over that of people who have been responsible, is like punishing someone for doing the right thing you know?
Arbeit,

I am not accusing you of lying buddy. You are 100% correct on parents can provide only upto age 26. Our healthcare system is horrible and a bureaucratic one.

Full time students get healthcare insurance through their school in US.

Your case is different because you a full time student in some other country. Your school is responsible for providing you or helping you for getting some healthcare coverage.

You can get insurance on your own which is outrageously expensive.

Obamacare or US tax payers are not responsible for providing healthcare for medical students in other countries.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »