Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advise from people who matched - abhy
First of all congrats to those who matched.
I am 2008 graduate from india currently on H4 Visa in US. Came to US in2012 and then completed all steps including step 3. scores are 216,223,1st attempt,211. all in 1st attempt. 2 months USCE, some volunteer experience in well known hospital, had LORS from them. I applied this year for 1st time to peds and FM total 150 programs. got only 1 IV in FM. Got nothing in Peds though all my experience and lor are from peds. Currently i am 8 months pregnant, so since September i really couldnt do much to improve my CV. And i dont think till june or july i can do much with newborn.

My question is what you people would suggest to do different to apply in 2016 match?Should i apply to different specialty? what to do more to improve CV( applied for some observership, yet to hear from them). please people i need help from your experience as you are matched
no body can give any kind of advise?
Please look in to a hospital in your city...go and ask them if you can volunteer in any department....this way you will be close to your house and take care of your newborn.....And if you come under H4 EAD category...you will not need a visa for next year...and it might be a great boost to your application.....HOpe that helps...
Hello abhy,

Sorry for not matching... but a very big congratulations on your pregnancy...
you have decent scores and pretty good cv....i would suggest you look out for program which offers observerships and also matches them into their program...
Allegheny General hospital in Pittsburgh and Griffin Hospital in Connecticut for example...you have time...
there is a false information which goes around during the application season..that you need to submit your eras application on day 1...no..thats not true...majority of the programs do not look at the applications untill the end of sept... the program who start reviewing the applications are those who interview a large pool of applicants..and those program generally have a very high usmle score cut off....
what i want to convey is...try to find an IMG friendly program which offers observership and also matches them...
And above all..do not stress out too much....enjoy your pregnancy and have a healthy baby...
Good Luck with everything.
Thanks Reefer333.. yeah i have one hospital nearby my home, i was working as volunteer in cardiovascular clinical trials there. i can rejoin in june may be.

thanks mstar, i want to enjoy my pregnancy but cant.. till january i was so stressed about no ivs and worried that my stress will affect my baby. actually whole pregnancy i was stressed. but i think i should enjoy my remaining days of pregnancy.
thx
PEDS and IM are most friendly to IMG's. I have found FM to be hostile to IMG's and very strict YOG requirements.

Your resume can be beefed up by more USCE and research and volunteering, that shows ur continued interest in the field and less of a gap in your training. But above all, old grad like you needs CONTACTS.
eee
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »