Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Publications - drcee
Is there any way to work on an independent publication? I have something that I have wanted to compose, but if I can just do an article for now that would be nice.

Any thoughts on how to get started with this?? It seems to look good for IMGs on applications.

Something like what?

Case report?

Review article?

Animal or clinical data?
Reviews on infectious disease

Well you need a mentor.
Most a times for review articles journals invite an expert to review the article in which case he/she can work with you.
For you to just choose a topic and review and send to a journal for them to publish is a very looong shot
Go to local hospitals close to your home and ask attending physicians if they have any interesting case reports they want to publish
That would be a good place to start at
@drcee
I also want to do an abtract/article

@nrmp
When you said "Most a times for review articles journals invite an expert to review the article in which case he/she can work with you". I was not quite clear. Can you explain what you mean? Also, how long do you think it takes from submission of a case report to a journal to publication. I wanted to see if this is achievable before next application season.

For most journals....you have to be invited to submit a review article. U don't just write about a topic and ask them to publish. Typically journals will invite somebody known nationally or an expert about a topic. And such people can involve you as co author.

Case report can take months to a year. I submitted a case report in some journal last year april and it only got accepted now. They kept requesting additional data, and I also wasted time to reply due to commitments. When I was an intern...I sent a case report to a state journal and they accepted within one week and published a month later. SO it depends on luck.

However there are some "open access journals" (google them) who accept case reports and publish them online and still show up on pubmed. The caveat is that you have to pay a fee.
But realistically if you wrote it today....there is still no guarantee that it will be published before match. Because sometimes reviewers can take months to review. But worth trying.
NRMP2012 Thanks so much for your contribution!
Thanks nrmp2012. This has really helped me in understanding the process.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »