Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to get research - ck15
HI EVERYONE, JUST WONDERING HOW AND WHERE TO LOOK FOR RESEARCH AVAILABILITY. WHOM SHOULD ONE CONTACT TO?
any body who has done it can help please
hello ck15,

what kind of research are you looking for? voluntary research is by contacts only.... for paid research you got have green card and prior research experience...

i don't think research is of any use to help getting into residency.... i would recommend you to invest your time and effort in find an internship...

Good Luck.
sorry..i meant externship...
research is the best thing to do if you aspire for any competitive fellowship in the future, which means you want to match in a relatively competitive residency.

i am an old graduate and have a gap in my resume. someone told me to fill it up with different kind of medicine related involvement. they specifically mention Research as i can do research and prep for next step simultaneously.
but thank u mstar and kash
in your case, mstar's advice might be more appropriate, exhaust all externship possibilities especially if your scores are lower

hello ck15,

i think as an IMG, the only way to fill in the gaps in the cv especially with problem with yog and score...in my opinion externships are the better option. you can show that you are current with your medical skills and knowledge with externships.
I dont mean to say research is a bad idea..but in research you cannot show that you are upto date with the medical skills etc... research will help in getting residency if you can develop a connection...
as kash_md mentioned research will be helpful for fellowships..

Good Luck.
This worked for me in research
Step 1:
-Have a nice
1)CV
2) personal statement
3) Cover letter
4) Recommendation letter (if you can get specifically for research)

Step 2:
-Select university/hospital which will potentially take you inside as a resident (base don eligibility)
-Go to their website and find all the faculty and see if their email ID is there. If not, PUBMED is nice source to get email IDs.

Step 3: Email all. Including PhD, co-ordinator, PD, Chairperson, faculty, residents etc. If you email 100s, you will get reply by 10s and positive reply will be 10-15. They may reply you to come and talk more

Step 4: Talk about your interests and long term goal to get into residency there.

Step 5: Work hard

Step 6: Ask for observership and letter of recommendation.

Step7: Important: get publications.

So, ideally will get research, observership, publication, LOR and possibly INTERVIEW.

Email me, if you need any help. I DO NOT CHARGE MONEY. medico4usmle
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »