Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed - mayowa13
I am currently in the united States and enrolled in a USMLE program. Unfortunately, my preparation is taking longer than i expected. A friend advised me to start an MPH program and also be preparing for USMLE by the side. The reason he gave me that advise was because he taught that the period i am enrolled in the USMLE program is considered as a non formal studies and that it would count against me when i am applying for residency.
Please, what do you think about it?
You wouldn't be able to do more than a part time MPH or certificate program and handle your USNLEs.

This isn't the time to worry about your GRE and reccomendations and an application.

Plug yourself in as a shadow with a private practice or part time unpaid research if you can

Your sole focus should be killing the usmle. It sounds like your preparation is a little more difficult so it wouldn't be wise in your case to distract and delay your future success

MPH requires a lot of attention.
Trying to do MPH and USMLE at same time may impact in your USMLE scores negatively. No matter who you shadow, or what you research.....the single most important factor for residency is the USMLE scores so it should be your priority.
And also u need to give us more details about your USMLE program. If it is going to take a year to do USMLE step 1 then I agree with your friend. If it is a 3 months program, though it is still long but truth is that when you score 260...programs look at you in a different light. They close their eyes to some of the defects in your application.
@Kash_md & @ nrmp2012.
Thank you for taking time to reply me. The last time i worked in an hospital was approximately 2 years ago. The hospital was outside of the USA. I have been in the USMLE program for about a year and six months. I got distracted from effective studying during my prep, but i am fully into studies now. I am aiming clearing all my exams so as to be able to apply for residency next year september. I also have gained admission into an MPH program.
But my friend said i should take the MPH program and prepare for the USMLE along side.

Please, kindly advise me.
Thank you
260 in steps>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MPH from Harvard/hopkins and 210 in steps. So think accordingly.
@swanneck.

Thank you so much
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »