Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question regarding statin effect - foxydoxy
I've stumbled upon a Uworld question which asks about the increased density of _____ due to statin therapy. Now, the answer is LDL receptor density and I'm not entirely sure how this mechanism works. I'm aware that statins are the best choice in LOWERING LDL levels, so do the hepatocytes increase expression of LDL receptors because they're used to high levels of LDL and are now... in "withdrawal" symptom of sort (for the lack of a better word)?

*edit...
Won't the increased LDL receptor density cause the LDL to rise again, thus contradicting the statin therapy?
No...increasing the receptor density will increase the uptake of LDL from the blood to the liver....so will lower the level
acestep11, can you elaborate please?
Main action of statins is to inhibit HMG-CoA Reductase--so we have low cholesterol in blood....less LDL formed...less LDL taken by the eliver...so the liver compensate by increasing LDL Receptors in order to overcome the low LDL in the blood in order to increase the uptake of LDL in the liver....so we end up having less LDL in the Blood ....this also decrease the risk for atherosclerosis .
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »