Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My unfortunate experience - maeryann
I'm opting out of the match. I decided to post this traumatizing experience of mine after a few days of calming myself down just so that others can learn from this too. I started my USMLE journey right after med school and decided to pursue my future career here, thinking of the umpteen opportunities that this vast generous country can offer. I did both my Steps 1 &2 as a IM resident in my home country, with decent scores in the 230s/240s. With optimism of my fair chance at matching, I came alone to the States to gain some USCEs. I sent off many emails and was happy to receive a reply from a nigerian American doctor saying that he would take me in. Before coming to the States, I got some letters from my consultants back home despite knowing that their letters do not carry as much weight as the letters in US. During my rotation, my preceptor came to know that I'm here alone, with no contacts/ no vehicles and will need a US letter to make it for the match. He did the most disgusting move that I would never forgive nor forget- he molested me. I would not go into details because even typing this makes me upset beyond words. It took me days to recover, to stop crying and to sit down and tell all of you that no girls ever deserve this. Looking back I probably should have made a report right then, but I never received such treatment ever and was too shocked to respond.
Yeah, with a letter short, and an everlasting scar, I have decided that I must leave this scary place.
This message is solely written for other girls like me- be careful. be careful. be careful.
Was he trying to feel u up or did he actually rape u?
I just don't get how girls can let that happen to them. I dunno. I lived alone for over a yr and I did pretty much everything alone..never had that problem. Did you go to his place?
Hey, really sorry to hear this, this is so terrible. There are many disgusting horrible people in this world, this is why we must be careful. I hope you are doing better, I am not sure what to tell you.
Maeryann
I'm am so sorry about what happened to you.It's very sad the levels people will stoop to, in order to take advantage of others.
I urge you to not give up on this journey. You have very decent scores. Do not associate this unfortunate incidence with USMLE/US residency.
There are bad people in all spheres of life. You could have experienced the same back home, it just so happened to be in he US.
He obviously saw that you were in a position of need and took advantage of that.
Use this as a lesson, to never fully trust anyone, especially one you've never met.
Continue in this journey using trusted sources and contacts.
I pray for brighter days ahead for you.
Call the state medical board and report the physician.

I'm sorry to hear that you went through this terrible experience. But I agree with goodpaed, you should not be opting out of the match just because of that particular incident alone, regardless of how difficult it was.
I am very sorry to hear your sad experience in US.You can do many things to put that doctor under the law and order.No one is above law in US.
1) Report to the state medical board
2)Report to the State attorney general in which state this happened ,go to the state attorney general website you can put a compliant online ,the responsible county prosecutor office will contact you .I am sure it will work.Its from my experience.
3)you can go to the local PD and put a formal compliant.
you are not late ,act fast .
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »