Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
old img- residency - mr2015
Hello Everyone,

I am a old IMG, graduated on 1998 and I am now 45 years old.

I used to work in research for many years here in U.S. but now I am studying for my steps. I've seen many old IMG in this forum that they studied hard and passed the steps with a good scores but I don't know what happened after that. Is there anyone in this forum that had the same situation and got an interview?

Any response is appreciated.
Thanks
Don't waste your time, energy and money. Not only you are a very old IMG, there is so much gap without clinical practice that it's almost impossible even if you get decent scores.
hi rocephin and mr2015,

I totally understand where rocephin comes from. Good intentions and sincere advice based on facts. No doubt agreed and it is a difficult path. being an old img myself i know how mr2015 feels. I know somebody in that age range fought for her dream and at 50 yrs completed a pathology residency.

but friends its your choice, please listen to your own heart and decide your path. None of us are the right ones to guide anybody.

@bensha I resonate with your post. Ultimately it is up to us and we must follow our own heart with realism. it is fact that about > 45% of IMG don't match the first time, but 50% do. Getting a residency is getting extremely difficult. Look at the NRMP's data for the last few years for trends.

If I were you, I would isolate a program that I have a chance of matching based on their current residents. I would find a way to work at the program for a year and pass all the Step exam before applying.

Age is not an issues, but it is a long, hard pathway to complete USMLE exams and secure a residency in the US. If medicine is your dream and your resources (time, energy, effort, money) then go for it!!!
Thank you guys for your honest advice. I will keep you posted in my journey :-)

@mr2015 Please keep us posted. Good luck!!!
Hi u all add me in too

@img33: Welcome to the thread. Good luck!!!
I would advise you to do the NYIT emigree program. You will find others who are similar to your age there. It's a DO program. Once you're done there you have a very good chance of getting a residency.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »