Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Took my exam today - pete11214
So i took my exam today. I dont think i did great but i did finish today anyway. and i hope those who are going to take the exam in a week or two can be relieved because of this. This is intended for you guys. This is a current condition of exam, in a way that i dont break their policy.

My exam is a very do-able one (not that i did well) and if you are the ones who mastered first aid, uworld, understand the pathophysiology of HIGH YIELD facts (and took nbme online), and of course do a lot of questions, I dont see why you cant do it.

Dont listen to others who says the exam is way too difficult, no, it is NOT beyond the level of nbme 18. it is NOT another level. NOT all questions are the level of nbme 18. This is the key thing i wanna say. Don't listen to them. Just expect mixed difficult and easy fair questions. If your exam is near, do not skim more low yield facts but focus on your high yield points and principles. Bcoz, to make you see clearly, 85-90 percent of the questions are really based on HIGH YIELD topics only! but yes in a way we didnt think before. So expect to be unexpected.

They tend to test the points that we miss to see as we thought that we had known enough. But if you get the principle, you get this.

Relax on the day before the exam and you don't need to study all the big deals again. I don't think it would help. If you relax that day, you can sleep at night for sure. i could have slept at 10pm and easily get up early.

It is true it is a mixed uworld and nbme, but in a way, I dont know, unlike both. Questions are long. A few questions are VERY long.

I got one question for reading new facts from FA 2017 three days before the test, so if you havent read it, skim it through once (if you dont have time, who cares about one question! may even be none in your test)

A good percentage of questions ask just like 'in the way' cardio69 asks and his 72 sec push. So if your exam is still far, you should try to participate his drills whether right or wrong. Big Grin

You should have zero worry about the test centers

Take the earplugs just in case. their earmuffs are extremely painful. The sounds of keyboard may be disturbing in 1st or 2nd blocks for first time test takers.

I used up until the last second of my break time. so this is pretty bad. Be careful with your timing. I cant advice on that Big Grin

So I wrote before i forget and this is intended for those who are about to take the exam in a week or two. gluck to those who are going to take it and no worries guys!
Hi pete11214, first of all congrats that you did your test, It is a big relief after studying for so long to go and just get it done. Regarding your performance - don't worry about it yet, most of us often do feel that we took the tests badly and then it turns out that in fact we did very well. Never stop thinking positive. Now just relax and in 1 or 2 days start thinking of continuing your preparation in some combined subjects that includes both Step 2 and Step 1(just in case for the need to retake the exam - which I doubt that applies to you, as Ive seen you doing well on Cardio69's drills). So fingers cross and thank you for sharing with us with your fresh experience. You'll be fine!
congrats w being done w this. and good luck! thanks for telling us ur experience.
@pete, just one question: is exam interface more like nbmes, exactly like nbmes or uworld? and by interface obviously u know i mean how the page looks, where the calculator, lab values are located, etc. thanks
@kstar Thz for your encouragement! I'll just use suppression defense till score comes out Big Grin

@inclusions thz! and welcome. The interface is exactly like uworld and free questions in USMLE website in every aspect.But the heart sounds and Fotos are exactly like free questions. Fotos can be zoomed. and the zoom for the questions has three options too. So don't worry about it.
thanks a lot, pete!
@pete good luck for result Smile) it looks you did great on exam Smile how was biostat in exam? and it feels exam was a bit easy. i heard that if exam is easy marking is too tough? were answers too tricky or similar to one another?
or easy for you because your preparation was too good Smile hope u get a great score Smile
Thz a lot @virgo32. I didn't do well but I can't stop wishing for the best. Smile

What you said is correct. If the exam is difficult, markings are a little bit difficult. As you can find on the "urban legands" section of nbme website_

"The statistical processes make small adjustments to scores achieved on test forms that contain relatively more or less difficult items. Scores on tests with relatively difficult items are adjusted up and those achieved on relatively easy items are adjusted down. These adjustments ensure that the scores that are awarded are comparable regardless of the particular combination of items on any examinee's test form and ensures fairness for all test takers"

So yeah i think my exam will be marked down maybe.

I can't give you details about the exam obviously but I'd say, in my test, biostat is all about principles. Stick with the high yield calculations.

Answers are similar to one another and tricky of course. But this is why usmle slays us, right! Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »