Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I quit or give it a final try? - hiwan12
Hi guys, need your opinion in this, here are my creds: Step 1 : 218, Step 2 :235, CS second attempt, Step 3:206
YOG:2009, US citizen, worked 2 years in my country , been in the states for 6 years doing research but no Publications, many observerships in different hospitals.
Tried to match for 3 years now with no luck

first year: 1 interview, second year:4 IVs, third year: 2 IVs. Always had great feedback from PDs after my interview yet no matchSad

Applied to different specialties. Have 10 LORs

Any suggestions? I am sick of the game about to quit! thinking to start my own business instead but still hesitant What are your thoughts, opinions?
hey

firstly, congrats on getting interviews every year. That means they are still interested in you. What do you think is going on here? You have decent scores and yes, you have an attempt, but there are people who match with attempts. SO, do you think it's your interview skills? or the are that you are applying to? Maybe at this point you just need a contact to get through. Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. It seems tough and I understand. Maybe stick to one program rather than moving around. Plus, if you have research for 6 years, why no publication?

Thanks for responding, I just think I did everything possible but still it did not work out. But you are right regarding sticking to 1 program and that is the only thing I did not do because all the programs I have done in them observerships, I knew they would not take me anyways so I never stayed. It is so hard to throw behind your back all the hard work for years and start something completely new. But I have always been interested in starting my own business. The whole process of the USMLE was so exhausting mentally and financially that I was not able to fulfill my dreams in something else either.
What specialty are you aiming for? Are all your letters of recommendation targeting that specialty? Coming from a program standpoint, faculty can get uneasy when you have observerships in multiple areas and/or letters that are not all specific to the specialty. No one wants to be perceived as the back-up specialty.
Hello Hiwan

I can understand you suffering, I am in the same shoe, did not Match 3rd time. My credentials are 214,237,206 all exams passed in 1st attempt, YOG 2011, require visa, 2-year USCE, 1-year research experience, Currently working in University program as a research scholar.

1st time two interviews
2nd time one interview
3rd time 6 interviews.
In the end did not Match. I applied in IM and FM, I got interviews only in Medicine.

What is your suggestion for me? Should I continue the journey?
@ desirable, sorry you did not match. I think you definitely should continue as long as the number of interviews are increasing lol. Man 6 IVs this is a lot. Do not give up. Believe me I feel your pain. As the number of IVs increases the pain increases with no match.
@hiwan12 Well, if you are passionate about something else like starting our own business then you should. Maybe apply on the side to limited areas. Look for programs in area where you live, volunteer there and have your business on the side. If your business takes off, then its amazing, if not, then you still have some activity in your medical field. Well, all the best and I hope you get what you want Smile

Thanks doc610, That is exactly what I am going to do.
Don't quit please. You will get it, just stay focus on your dream. Try to publish before the match.
I did this mistake while my friend just kept trying and she got matched with lower scores and not very good cv.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »