Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMG, first experience with MATCH, any comment - blx
Hi, this is the first time i am in the MATCH, i really dont know what to expect.
YOG is 2015
step 1 235
Step 2 Ck 252
Step 2 CS pass first attempt
3 LoRs of US physicians but from Observerships only (3 months)
Need Visa
I want IM,
i was feeling pretty good about my chances but with the recent changes in the US presidency i dont know if the visa status will be and issue.
Any comment or advice will be much appreciated
Also i dont know if step 3 will help?

Good scores, pretty good chances. Visa might scare some programs away but u still have a very good chance. You should get atleast 6 iv
Thanks amir, what do you think about step 3? would it help?
step 3 definitely helps, i know of a programs that doesnt consider imgs without step 3. so if you have the time go for it
You stand a very good chance at matching. You have a decent Step 1 score and a great Step 2. You passed everything first attempt. Internal Medicine programs are relatively IMG Friendly. Landing interviews with a visa last year was not a prohibitor - not sure about this year.

Scores matter because programs need to feel confident about a candidates ability to do well on exams for the purposes of maintaining a high board pass rate - you have already proved you can. I would not risk taking the Step 3 with the intention of strengthening your application

You should rather invest the time doing an externship, because observerships do not carry much value.

Download your custom IMG Friendly Program List from http://myresidencylist.com
the scores are good, but PDs will be looking for hands-on experience which gives Strong LORs
Almost there for the MATCH, when are the programs starting to send interviews?
@blx : It varies, not all programs work the same way. Bulk of interview calls will be in Oct/Nov/Dec, tapers off in January.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »