Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Match , plz help - saraf2014
Hi , I'm in desperate need for an advice , I'm an IMG ( graduated in 2014 ) with step 1 ( 255 ) step 2 CS ( passed with no failed attempt). in my final step 2 CK preparation , I took the UWSA (scored 253) . Is there any chance for me to get an interview for IM residency if I take step 2 ck in September and apply for a late match ? Thanks
I believe with this uwsa score, you can write your exam in 2weeks. All the same, you can apply with one awaiting result. A friend of mine did that last year and got interviews and finally matched. While i was waiting for my result to be completed before applying and was late
This is completely possible. Make sure that you are prepared fully to take the exam. You do not want to risk receiving a low score or even failure. What is your YOG. Do you have 3 US LORs showing hands on clinical experience? Residency Program Director look for these key factors in applications.
Ms Saraf: YOG recent, high step 1 score .... you got it good. Write CK with confidence and apply now like others have advised.
it is better to apply with the awaiting results, after receiving the score you can submit them. if the apply for the match lately after Sep 15th you may or may not get more interviews
Read posts from previous matches, people tend to forget and get too optimistic around this time.
Then in interview season we will start getting the discriminatory comments about certain groups not getting interviews because of US IMGs. Can't wait to see who will be troll #1 this year.

By the time you apply, there will a pile of applications with similar scores and similar profiles in front of yours.
There is no such thing as a late match. There will always be stories about: "Oh yeah, my friend applied on February 26 and matched with 7 interviews!" The aim should be to apply the first day ERAS opens with an ECFMG certification but it's a bit late for that.

In order to succeed with this strategy you need contacts. Programs need to know that you are applying and that your profile is exceptional (is it?), and the best way to do this is not to email 100 program coordinators. It is through someone inside.

Are your LORs good?
Extensive USCE?
IF the answer is no to any of these 2 questions then you have even more factors playing against you.
As kavya@4a1 mentioned, it may be better to apply like this, there will always be a what if if you don't apply, but that applies if you have disposable income and don't mind spending a lot of money with a higher probability of losing it.
The program with applying late is that programs will go through the first round of applicants and then maybe send late interview invitations if all their candidates are not "ideal". Your probability of getting IVs and matching would definitely be lower.
and I didn't mean US IMGS like the group of US citizen or GC IMGs, I meant Us, as in all of us, non citizen, non green card IMGs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »