Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychiatry Match chances - need your help, guys - gioco91
Hey guys, I`ve been very pessimist about matching in psychiatry since I got my step 1 score (199). I decided to start and finish my psychiatry residency program here in Brazil so I could have an additional training and experience. I also have a 225 step 2 ck and step 2 cs 1st attempt pass. I have one or two (3 actually) publications in the area, 2 Lors and 3 psychiatric clerkships/observerships.

To sum up , here are my credentials:

- Step 1 : 199 Sad
- Step 2 CK: 225
- Step 2 CS: Pass 1st attempt
- 2 Lors
- 3 Clerkships in the area
- Some publications, psychiatry courses/summer schools in the US and Canada and elective in Neuropsychiatry at the U of Toronto.

I really would not care about the location or the program "quality" as long as I have a spot. I could apply to as many as possible but I am really upset with my credentials (specially due to step 1 score).

Guys, being honest, do you think I could stand a chance?

Thanks a lot and good luck to everyone!
Recently psych is a very popular field, I know a lot of American medical students who applied for it. I would say it is unlikely that you could match. If this was 10 years ago, it is possible, but now unfortunately it is unlikely.
Don"t be disheartened just apply, some time only scores will not matter so much. we should always try for better outcome.
Ruano you nandu @peds , you inspired me ! I am Going to finish my residency here, my master and phd degree and keep ali my fingers crossed! Smile
Yes you still have chance to get matched, get hands-on clinical experience in the US which helps in making the your CV strong and show the PDs that you will be clinically active. Get a minimum of 4 LORs it will improve. Complete Step 3 exam it will strengthen the application.
Which specialty you want to apply into?

If you complete Step 3 and get continuous hands-on clinical experience for improving the CV and can show PDs that you are clinically active. Also, try to get connections that can help your application better.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »