Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help! how should I improve my chances? - match20
Hi, I am a 2018 grad, with scores 217,218, 216 ( step 3 second attempt). I have been applying since 3 years, but didn't match. I have almost 2 years USCE, 1 year research, 4 publications. What should I do? Thanks.
You still have chances, programs will be sending IVs till January.

As you have less scores in the steps, and you are recent grad you will be having chances to match if you apply for less competitive specialties and have a back-up specialty as well while applying for match. Also improve your CV for the application and try to have contacts it can help for getting the IVs.
check out this

You can match but whats important is to apply broadly for match and look for specialties which are less competitive. Also, have contacts will be helpful for getting the IVs.
Hi match20,
May I ask to which specialty you are applying? This can help me understand your situation better.
Thanks.
I am sorry, my yog is 2008, not 2018, it was typing mistake. I applied for Peds and FM.
you need a very strong personal letter to stand out and increase your chances! did you get any interviews last time? if you have been applying for three years with no interviews it means your application is not as strong as it could be. if you did get interviews it means your interview performance was weak. my advice: Get professional application review or interview coaching so you don't have to apply a fourth time! good luck
Hi again,
It is important that your USCE is recent considering your gap from year of graduation. In addition, gaining strong LORs from those experiences are going to be an essential part in your situation, especially having those LORs from those in Family Medicine/Peds. It also would be a good idea to get in some networking so that you can get known in the programs you’re looking at, whether it be through PDs or other people in the program who could vouch for you. I would suggest looking for programs that are specifically IMG friendly. I hope this is helpful for you.
Good luck!
As you are an old grad, having multiple hands-on clinical experience helpful for the gap, gaining rotations will help to show that you are clinical active and can provide strong LORs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »