Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
alzheimer's....vit.E or gingko biloba.... - roger
which one is the best ?and what is the indications for the use?you use both or just one?
someone knows something about tx w/ gingko biloba in alzheimer's disease ? or you just use vit . E ? is vit E better?
thank you.....
hi ben !?how you doing?do you know this answer?Thanks and GL...........
someone?..........
Don't know the specific answer to your qs, roger, but this is what I got from internet search.

In Alzheimer's, as in aging generally, there is an increase in free radical formation.

Vitamin E is an antioxidant thought to protect neurons by reducing free radical formation and preventing cell injury. They attack other cells, damage cell walls, DNA, as well as metabolic processes. Focusses on functional loss, delays nursing home placement, death and disability but not cognitive functions (as scored in memory and thinking tests).

Ginkgo biloba has antioxidant properties, antinflammatory properties.

Ginkgo inhibits the formation of beta-amyloid, a protein that forms amyloid plaques in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease

Ginkgo biloba is also thought to increase cerebral circulation, blood flow to the brain.

Clinical trials are beginning to demonstrate that supplementation with ginkgo biloba extracts can have an ameliorative effect in patients suffering from mild to moderate dementia of the Alzheimer type. The effects seem to be noticeable in both the cognitive and the affective domain.
Thanks Usmle20
i had this question in my first attempt....i always read that you give cholinesterase inhibitors+ vit E,but i think gingko biloba seems better in improve the prognostic(cognitive and affective) of AD.
thank you, Good lucky......
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »