Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residency after residency - krampus
hi everybody, i do have a question. do you guys think that there is any impediment for an IMG on visa of doing a residency training after another residency? for instance surgery afgter FM?..just an example.
thank you as always.
Impediments: Age, obligations to family, stamina (and desire)

yes, that is true..but legally is it possible. being part of 2 professional boards?
It's been known to happen where a physician will switch from specialty to another. I'm not sure about of the legality of belonging to 2 different boards...but realistically it seems to be very difficult practically...where will you find the time?????
you can do.. I know one friend who did internal medicine after completing family medicine...he started IM from PGY2 year ( so took 5 years for completing 2 specialities)... You can be eligible for 2 boards..... think of med/ paeds residency eligible for both boards...
it does not worth to do another residency after another becoz as a fam physician, u will have a decent life+salary.After your residency in fam med, u can also do a fellowship as a hospitalist and earn as much money as surgeon do.But residents in surgery,anesthesia work from 5.30 to 10pm( an ordeal) while their internal med or fam med counterparts work from 7 or 730 to 5pm.
Think of your life also.
guys, thank you for all the replies. the FM-surgery afterwards was only an example. Actually I am more interested in the FM and then IM option. So it is possible to do IM after FM. And is there an option to join an IM program at the PG2 level after being certified as FM physician in all the programs, or do you have to look for a program that actually accepts you?
doc 1980, could you give me more specific information?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »