Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme3q - infertility - qttt81
27. A 37-year-old nulligravid woman comes to the physician because she has not been able to conceive for 2 years. Her 40-year-old husband has a child by a previous marriage. Her last menstrual period was 6 weeks ago; menses have occurred at increasingly infrequent intervals over the past year. Fifteen years ago, she was treated for one episode of Chlamydia trachomatis infection. She weighs 59 kg (130 lb) and is 170 cm (67 in) tall. Examination shows no abnormalities. Serum studies show:

ß-hCG
<5 mIU/mL
Follicle-stimulating hormone
50 mIU/mL
Luteinizing hormone
45 mIU/mL
Prolactin
13 ng/mL
Thyroid-stimulating hormone
3 µU/mL

Which of the following is the most likely cause of this patient's infertility?

A
) Hypothalamic amenorrhea

B
) Hypothyroidism

C
) Pituitary adenoma

D
) Polycystic ovarian disease

E
) Premature ovarian failure

F
) Tubal factor

thought it was E but her FSH is not that high.
wats your thought??
I think E.
cemmsk, what was the definition again of premature ovarian failure
I am leaning towards FF, but don't know how to r/o E
it is ovarian failure. almost equal to premature menopause that sautoimmun origin ( age before 40)hypergonadotropic hypogonadism. autoimmun in origin, overy infiltrated with lymphocytes. maybe with other AI endocrinologic disorders- maybe part of polyglandular syndrome.
Her FSH is normal-high but normal range of FSH can reach 90
and peritoneal factor is mc cause of infertility (i think it contains tubal factor) and she has a STD history... bump..
I think the phrase 'Her last menstrual period was 6 weeks ago; menses have occurred at increasingly infrequent intervals over the past year' makes the E choice a better option.

btw;some facts:
1- infertility risk increases as the number of PID episodes increase.
2-chylmd trochomatis infection may just be a cervicitis without a PID, not specified in the Q. but chylamydia infect is one of the majoy-r causes of infertility.
Oh,,infrequent interval makes it clear..i missed that point.. Thank you cemmsk Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »