Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help from USA - ms_mysterious
Hi dear friends,
I really hope i would find help in this warm home of ours.
I am a 3rd year foreign medical student . Next January,I will have the opportunity to do my clinical elective which I want to do at the States in the field of Surgery. I am sure that there are lots of students and residents already in the states visit the forum and I have a big hope that somebody will help me.
I have searched on the aamc site alot...and after emailing the schools that accept foreign medical students for surgery,,I have found out that they need so many health and malpractice insurances to be paid even before u get accepted in addition to the application fees,so this process of applying via the internet is very costy and not guaranteed at all.

I really want soo soo much to do this surgery internship in the states and I would be so grateful if anybody that knows people there or is already there could help me,,,,I AM DESPERATE Sad

plz contact me at na140k4

Thank u in advance
dear ms_mysterious,
I can tell u regarding health insurence clearly. any student coming to USA will have to take it. U can go to any student health insurence providers and pay them. it will cost u max of75- 100$ per month. some times the hospital u are joining itself might have a specific health insurence, u can find out.
Regarding malpractise insurance first try to find out form the hospital ur going to join. if they say we will have to find on our own then go serching for insurance providers. u can search in google. u will get all information.
my sincere advice is until u start doing ur surgery posting in usa, dont pay to no one. U can pay it 1 day before u start ur posting. dont be in hurry. try contacting FMGs in the hospital ur going to join when u come to usa and pay ur insurence fee.
Hi again..
thank u kosaraju for ur help.....
concerning the health insurance,do i get it a separate one for each hospital i apply to?

I will try to figure out what to do with the malpractice insurance..

I was expecting more help from the forum though

thanx again
best wishes
regarding health insurance if u have one that is enough through out USA. u need not take a new health insurance even if u change hospital. U can take basic health insurance to save u money.
regarding mall practise do as per what i told u. no hurry. it is better for u to come over here and pay 1 or 2 days before u join ur course. becoz all are one same old scrap.
Hi,
I understand how you feel.
My advice to you is do your internship or electives where you are and concentrate on passing USMLE Steps 1, 2 & 3. This is KEY!
Pass these three and then you are in a better position to be able to do possibly anything you may want in medicine in the USA if you are serious and put your heart to it and obey the law.
Coming over here for elective or internship is a good idea with many hassels.
Is it really worth your time and money plus frustration?
I mean, it's up to you.
I trained in Europe, did the same thing you are trying to do now. Had to travel for my electives.
Right now, all those trips are of virtually of no meaning or value except the fact that I know I did them.
Having your internship or electives here does not guarantee you pass the USMLE tests nor does it guarantee you any better than where you are now.
And, even if you pass the tests, you must have maintained very good work relationships(get along with staff and peers without errors or faults), for any one to go on to write you any recommendations for residency placements or interviews when the time comes that you may need one.
I am an experienced graduate with other international licenses and living here right now trying to take USMLE exams.
You see, its a double edged sord! Its like working anywhere in the world today. Be "good" , get good recommendation, "not liked" , bad recommendation which travels with your assigned numbers for the life of your carrier here.
Therefore, you must plan carefully.
Anyway, goodluck to you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »