Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
about ccs.... - ippy
Here are some tips to help you with the USMLE CCS exam…

Pay close attention to the setting (location) of the patient encounter. The setting helps you decide on the aggressiveness of your treatment orders and whether to send the patient home. It also gives a clue to the medical diagnosis.

If the setting is ER and you are not sure of the medical diagnosis, admit the patient and work him up. You can always discharge him from the hospital, the next day. USMLE Step 3 CCS is testing you to see if you practice safe medicine. One year of medical residency should help you in your decision making.

Write down the age, sex, chief complaint, and allergies of the patient on the writing sheet provided at the exam. This will help you save time when considering medical differential diagnosis.

Counseling is a major part of outpatient office visits. Pay particular attention to counseling in normal/ routine patient visits. This is similar to real counseling provided by you in your medical residency.

Important counseling topics include smoking, alcohol, drugs, safe sex practices, exercise, weight reduction, diet, and self-breast exam. You can score points for these orders in the USMLE Step 3 CCS test.

If the patient presents with breathing difficulty, remember to order Oxygen, albuterol PRN and hook him up with a pulse oximetry.

Patients presenting to the ER in an unresponsive state should have a finger stick glucose done with a glucometer stat, naloxone given if opiates are suspected (Pupils), and thiamine added to IV fluids if alcoholic.

Patients with Hypertension and diabetes should have appropriate diets ordered (2 gm salt restricted or 1800 ADA diet)

For abnormal LFTs order a hepatitis profile/panel if appropriate. USMLE CCS exam assesses the appropriateness of medical orders.

Order tests to diagnose H. pylori if patient has GERD. The H. pylori antibody should be ordered if the patient has never been diagnosed before and the Urease breath test if checking for elimination/ recurrence.

Overdose/poisoning patients should be admitted to the ICU for closer monitoring and suicide precautions. Don’t forget to get a Psychiatry consult.

Inpatient hospital admissions need a physical exam everyday and appropriate lab and medical orders. Remember what you do daily in your residency, and you will be fine.

When writing orders, you can save time by holding down “control†and selecting multiple orders with your mouse.

Acute abdomen and most surgical emergencies need frequent and multiple interval H&P.

· Don’t forget to advance the clock during the USMLE Step 3 CCS exam. Remember, you will not get results and nothing will happen until you advance the clock.

· Get appropriate consults. You will get credit for this. However, once you ask for a consult, the computer may ask you to manage it yourself temporarily, as the consultant is busy. Don’t worry. Do the routine pre-op stuff and stabilize the patient.

· Use keywords to get order lists- “Stop, Avoid, Diet, Vaccine, Advice†etc

· Have a routine scheme / checklist to follow for USMLE CCS exam. This avoids overlooking common orders. You can even write down this checklist on the writing sheet provided at the USMLE testing center. You can then rapidly refer to the checklist and make sure that you have not forgotten anything.

· In the ER, first do a brief physical exam (2 min). Then write orders and labs. Once the patient is stabilized and lab results reviewed, do a full physical exam. Then shift the patient to the ICU or ward.

· Remember… First stabilize, then full physical, and then admit. This is also what you would do, in your residency training and real life.

· When ordering labs in the ER, avoid asking for panels (e.g. CMP or BMP), The results will be delayed. Instead order the individual components of the panel. You can order panels in other settings.

ippy,
very nice....helpful..

you wrote:

"When writing orders, you can save time by holding down “control†and selecting multiple orders with your mouse."

this sounds like a time saving act....but i do not quiet understand it...
if you have time ...can you plz elaborate on this...
thanks much...
what is checklist? is it selfmake or ccs provide?
Hi,
Thanks for your post. I just read that and have some confusion for selecting multiple order at a time. Its exactly same what "cricoid" mentioned above---.
I read same thing in Lama's post and in differnent forum. If it works that will save lot of time specially when we counsel pt .
I tried to type diff order by holding the control key when I used usmle CD, that didn't work for me. May be I was wrong.
It'll be a great help if you please discuss in detail how to do that.
Thanks in advance
Best wishes
thanks cricoid..
by the way i got this whole thing from some site..
and as regards to chosing multiple things i got the hang of it while working with software..
initially i had prob chosing multiple things
see like if we hae to order plueral tap plus all the inv on pleral fluid
just type pleural
and select all the items
first should be tap else wont work
if we have to get stool samples
just type stool and select everything pressing cntrl key
so if we have to pleral fluid and stool inv
instead of typing all separate
we can type like this
Pleural
Stool
Urine
Blood
then wen each indv screen appears just choose whatever u need
now this was the easy part..
but actual catch is in counseling
if u have to counsel the patient about alcohl, smoking, drugs and RATED SEX mneumonic
just wait till the 5 min warning appears and only then counsel for all these...
if u counsel early eats up a lot of ur time because u can only counsel one thing at a time
so u have to type no smoking then screen appears and then it says needs 5 min to counsel and u advance time.. like this it goes on for all orders..
so really eats up on time...
pus u can type counsel and select multiple things but then after u have selected all the message appears tht u can counsel only one thing at a time...
so this is really bugging and eats ur time....
But if u counsel in last 5 min when the 5 min screen appears u can do multiple counselling at a time by just typing counsel and pressing control and selecting whatever u need...
i hpe this helps..
i really found this helpful
ippy,

now this is awesome...
now i have to try and see if i really got it......

can you write the RATED SEX mneumonic....R=?
I forgot....i know i have it written down...but cannot remember....

thanks....Smile
reassurance, relaxation
alcohol
tobacco
exercise
diet
seat belt
education
safe sex
thanks much..... Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »