Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about the match -
drsrk

i just had a question about the match rank order list.
if somebody has applied in say dermatology(and a transitional program) and he has also applied in categorical 3 year internal medicine program, how does he put his rank order list if he prefers dermatology.......
i mean are there separate columns for 1 year programs and for medicine/dermatology.....so that he can put dermatology first followed by the categorical programs in one column and the 1 year transitional programs in another column......plz advise.
Ballade

There are two rank order lists. One for the categoricals and one for the preliminary or transitionals. The latter list is called the supplementary list. If you match to any one of the programs in your main list that requires a one year post grad, then the algorithm goes to your supplementary list and checks if you have matched to any of the preliminary or transitional positions as well. Hope this helps! And good luck if you are applying for derm!!
justme(original)

Ballade where can I read about all this? you seem to know a lot the process. Thanks a lot.
drsrk

ballade, thanx a million......
i wonder where u get all this info from?
Ballade

drsrk,
One more important thing I forgot to mention. You can still rank your preliminary or transitional programs in your main list as well as in your supplementory list. In this way if you don't match in any of the categorical programs, you still have a chance to match in your transitional program without being matched in any advanced or categorical. In summary, the algorithm goes through all the selections of your main ranking list until you are matched in one of your selections, but does not go to your selections in your supplementary list unless you are matched in one of your selections in your main list and that program requires a one year post grad.

justme(original),
These were the questions that I had before starting the application process back in August. I searched a lot, asked poeple who knew the process and gathered info as much as I could. If you go to the NRMP website you can find some info on the match algorithm as well.
Ballade

No problem! I was very confused at the start and it was a pain :-) that's why I don't want anyone else be confused in the process!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »