Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
recombinant DNA - doc03
Can someone please explain recombinant DNA to me...thanks
plz anyone...i'm having a hard time understanding it thru kaplan....help
Well the answer is right in the name... Recombinant= recombination DNA= DNA.... so its basically a recombination of DNA. Before the details there is another concept you should know. Restriction endonuclease. As you know an endonuclease is a protein that has the ability to recognize a specific sequence and then make an incision at that location.(kepp this concpet in mind) Now scientist take a virus that they have manipulated through many procedures that have a known RESTRICTIONS SITES on them. These restriction sites are specific for certain endonucleases. So in essence the scientists are able to cut this virus (usually an adenovirus) at a mutlitude of PRECISE LOCATIONS. Becuase the scientist knows the location they also know the sequence on either side of this restriction site. (Keep this in mind) So knowing this lets go step by step

Step I- put an endonuclease in a mixture with this adenovirus (remember they know exactly where the endonuclease is going to cut)

Step II - Becuase they know the sequence on either side they can introduce into the mixture a specific sequence (say insulin sequence that is flanked on either side by a sequence that will combine with the known sequence on the original DNA that was cut (remember the scientists know the sequence. Example. Orginal DNA was AAAAGGGGAAA. The endonuclease
TTTTCCCCTTTT
that was used cuts right inbetween the first and second"G"'s so you get two strands that look like this AAAAG GGAAAA. Well the scientists Know introduce the insulin sequence that is
TTTTCC CTTTT
flanked by the known sequence that will attach to the cut sequence so it will look like this
GINSULIN
INSULINC
If you can imagine this sequence can then get inserted into the cut orginal so you get a sequence that looks like this AAAGinsulinGGAAAA
TTTCInsulineCCTTTT
This new squence is then grown on a plate and since bacteria have a very active production of proteins and enzymes everyti me this site is translated an insulin protein would be made. So the more bacteria the more protein and hence using recombinated DNA you make a medication insulin for people in mass quantities. This is the basis for all recombination DNA.

I hope the formatting comes out right sometimes it messes it up when trying to submit
Well the answer is right in the name... Recombinant= recombination DNA= DNA.... so its basically a recombination of DNA. Before the details there is another concept you should know. Restriction endonuclease. As you know an endonuclease is a protein that has the ability to recognize a specific sequence and then make an incision at that location.(kepp this concpet in mind) Now scientist take a virus that they have manipulated through many procedures that have a known RESTRICTIONS SITES on them. These restriction sites are specific for certain endonucleases. So in essence the scientists are able to cut this virus (usually an adenovirus) at a mutlitude of PRECISE LOCATIONS. Becuase the scientist knows the location they also know the sequence on either side of this restriction site. (Keep this in mind) So knowing this lets go step by step

Step I- put an endonuclease in a mixture with this adenovirus (remember they know exactly where the endonuclease is going to cut)

Step II - Becuase they know the sequence on either side they can introduce into the mixture a specific sequence (say insulin sequence that is flanked on either side by a sequence that will combine with the known sequence on the original DNA that was cut (remember the scientists know the sequence. Example. Orginal DNA was AAAAGGGGAAA. The endonuclease
TTTTCCCCTTTT
that was used cuts right inbetween the first and second"G"'s so you get two strands that look like this
AAAAG GGAAAA. Well the scientists Know introduce the insulin sequence that is
TTTTCC CTTTT
flanked by the known sequence that will attach to the cut sequence so it will look like this
GINSULIN
INSULINC
If you can imagine this sequence can then get inserted into the cut orginal so you get a sequence that looks like this
AAAGinsulinGGAAAA
TTTCInsulineCCTTTT
This new squence is then grown on a plate and since bacteria have a very active production of proteins and enzymes everyti me this site is translated an insulin protein would be made. So the more bacteria the more protein and hence using recombinated DNA you make a medication insulin for people in mass quantities. This is the basis for all recombination DNA.

I hope the formatting comes out right sometimes it messes it up when trying to submit
the second one is the better formatted answer
Bump...and also to ask if this helped to DOC03
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »