Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting stats on matching - drabcd76
In 2008 around 43% of IMGs were matched.
In 2008 average length of ROL for US seniors were 9.26
In 2008 average length of ROL for IMGs were 7.05
No. of US seniors in IM programs declined
No. of US seniors in FM programs increased (uncommon trend!)
Almost 88% of matched IMGs were matched with the top 4 programs in their ROLs.

Hope these will help.

Thanks.
nice
from where did u get this data,i guess in ecfmg newsletter it was 65%IMGs who got matched last year.
Well we are good applicants the more of us that get in and do well he better our reputation will be good job guys
MATCH STATISTICS ABOUT

NON “U.S CITIZEN STUDENTS/GRADUATES OF INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL SCHOOL
Total active applicants 7, 335 (Matched PGY1-3108 which is 42.3%;
Unmatched PGY1-4227 which is 57.6%)
Withdrew 2135 (which is 19.2%)
No rank list 1,671 (which is 15%)
Grand total number of applicants 11,141

If NRMP is supposed to calculate match rate based on number of applicants (denominator-11,141) then match rate is just 27.8 per hundred applicants not the 42%

Reference: http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2008.pdf
Page number 17

Q)Who are the Graduates of International Medical School
Ans;
Three types US Citizen IMGs consititute 21% of total IMG pool
Permanenet resident (greencard) IMGs constitute 38% of total IMG pool
Visa requiring IMGs constitute remaining people (who are on F1, B1, etc kind of visas)
These percentages of IMGs are according to 2002 statistics

Q) Accounting for the this big fraction of US CITIZEN IMGS, US PERMANENT RESIDENT IMGS, what is the chance of matching for a visa seeking IMG
Ans- some where around around 25%

Q) What is the average number of attempts each IMG is matching now a days
Answer-a round two attempts

Q)Hence forth what are the chances of matching for a Visa seeker IMG per each applicant year is around 15% (not Even 25% given the fact that now a days IMGs are matching mostly in second attempt)

Before coming to this country, I was assuming that 85 % of people who come to USA will match to residencies each year.
Based on the above statistics the truth is that the chances of visa seeker matching are very less than a quarter. Odss of matching to not matching each applicant year 1: 4

These are very interesting facts about the match rates. I wish that NRMP should release the data based on number of total applicants each year(11, 141) and total number of people matching (3,108)
Hi hsc76107,

I think, statistically NRMP is right. They only have taken into account the number of applicants who participated at the match. If you take the grand total as total number of applicant then you should also add the number of applicants who prematched.

So, NRMP just had their data (people who went for the match).

fmasoud,

The data was compiled from the NRMP residency report for 2008.
ok,now i understand,may be newsletter has added both prematched and matched applicants togather to tell how many imgs got residency.
Hello hsc76107.

U thik like this, there were total applicants of 11 000.

Of them 3200 matched
then 2200 pre matched
so 5500 people were sucessful.

So roughly its 50 % people got residency who applied for it.
Please correct me If am wrong
The number of prematches may all together will not be that significant number. I don™t have exact figure to provide. I am assuming that it may be altogether not more than 250 -350/400 for VISA seekers. All IM, FP, Psych all together Usually they are also typically offered for Green card IMGs, carribean US-IMGS, who are not confident to face the match.
Carribean USIMGs are mostly the Fam Practice prematch takers. The psych prematches are typically taken ny Green card IMGs. Only IM prematches are frequently for appropriate VISA seeker IMGS.These prematch programs are always viewed very bad by AMG's. They dont want to waste their time interviewing at programs which dont go for NRMP match. The overall match rate doesnt change much even if you account for prematches. I think NRMP doesnt want to antogonise/disappoint its stake holders by giving exact figures. Stake holders for ECFMGand NRMP are always IMGS who are always its finance providers.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »