Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
q7 - squidward
sorry squidward, i am not convinced with ur explaination.. I think answer should be D..Though he had distilled water wasn't enough to replenish the losses.. so water will move out of the cell in the ECF. Can u explain again how there is increase in ICF?
sure it is EE, I just wanted to say increased hematocrit but chose cc instead .... was sleepy !!

it can't be d because a hypotonis extracellular inviroment will lead to movement of water into the cells. It is the osmolarity gradient which controls water movement regardless of the amount of the extracellular volume
Squidward,
The q'n is a good one. But I still have confusions.
During dehydration, is that the ECF or ICF depleted first? It is the ECF. Then water will move from the ICF to the ECF. Now when u replenish, first the ECF will be replaced and the water moves from the ECF to ICF until equilbrium is reached by the principle of osmosis, whatever the amaunt of H20 you have. What matters is the conc. gradient. I think people share my idea too. If the ICF the above discipancy happens, it means that equilbrium is not reach and we can't apply the idea of osmosis. I think other people also share my idea.
So can you further explain please???????????

Thanx
Bigtime 99 and drnisha:

I think both of you wanna know as to why the intracellular volume increased.

It's because when this person did drink, it was distilled water which was hypotonic (more water than salt). Now, all this hypotonic (distilled) water entered the ECF.

Meaning, now, even though he has more fluid in ECF but the tonicity of that fuild is Hypotonic when compared to ICF. Therefore, this will move into the ICF.

Reason for Hct increased:

Hematocrit is the percentage of RBC mass that encompasses the total blood volume. In this patient, there was less fluid, which automatically increases hematocrit (because a greater percentage of the blood was RBCs, since there's been water loss through dehydration).

Plus, when this person did drink that hypotonic distilled water, it increased intracellular volume (for the reason i mentioned above), meaning that the RBCs have enlarged (since we used RBC when talking about intracell for this question), causing what RBCs are present to take up even more space to yield an even higher hematocrit.
Let me know if you have more doubts. Thanks
i think the answer is DDDD
HYPOtonic lose(sweating) replenished by HYPOtonic fluid(distilled water) would increase both EC and IC fluid back towards normal. But since he did not drink enough so both compartments will still be decreased in size.

If he drinks all of what he loss it should bring both EC and IC back to normal size.
If he drinks more than what he loss it would expand both compartments.

He is puting back what he lose and during this process water will move inside the cell just like the way it moved out of the cell during lose. But how can he increase IC when he did not even drink enough to bring it to normal size???

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »