Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
66yo male - psych80
acute onset of multiple thrombotic events going on here seem most likely to be from heart. i could not figure out the exact cause of these emboli except that they sound more like being originated from the heart.

Answer:

© Transesophageal echocardiogram

Explanation:

The patient seems to be having episodes of emboli to the arterial structure of the body. The necrotic fingers and toes can be caused from small emboli to the distal peripheral and digital arteries. This could also account for emboli to the coronary arteries, resulting in a myocardial infarction in a patient with no risks for coronary disease beyond his age. The same reasoning would be true of what seems to certainly be an acute embolic stroke. The most effective chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is still "CHOP," in which the "H" represents hydroxyadriamycin. Adriamycin may lead to cardiac toxicity, which may be predisposing to these emboli.

Protein C and S deficiency lead to the gradual onset of venous thrombosis, not the acute arterial disease described here. Homocysteine abnormalities are a risk for thrombosis, but it should never give this dramatic of a presentation. They often present with the more gradual onset of a thrombosis in development. Antiphospholipid antibodies can give arterial clots, but the PTT should be elevated. Even if this is a suspicion, you cannot leap to this diagnosis without doing the transesophageal echo first to exclude an obvious source of emboli.
hey Psych , wt ever the source of the Qs keep going , they're amazing
awesome !! tricky !! and hard !!

thanks psych80 for this question, as i'm reading this question more and more, as i'm realizing how exam differs from real life, thanks again ..

okt3; u see it's working .. Big Grin .

i dont understand one thing.. what is good question..? i think it is the one which is closest to the real exam.. we dont need a very high level of critical judgement or do we.. ? i would appreciate comments here especially from those who have the real exam experience.. odin, fcbarcelona.. !
very good question psych80
that's correct psych80 ..
u should have gd judment in the exam but not to figure out such questions ..

Actually, I was out of coverage Big Grin in some exam questions .. I marked them, i repeated them more than once, and i figured out nothing .. so i had to guess ..
But those were not more than 15 in my case ..

I will tell you wt, u could be better than me, and i could be better than odin Tongue (sorry my friend Big Grin) .. meaning, if all of us had the same question, i may solve it in one glance and u may find a lot of problem solving it, and vice versa ..

But, if u were good in all topics overall, u ll have no problem ..
I will give u an example, so u will set down ur anxiety ..
During my exam, i had a nightmare in every neurology question i encountered although as u know, the neurology part in step 2ck is not that hard and i m good in neurology ..
overall, i was sure in 10% of the neurology qs part .. and finally i got my score report with a star in the neurology field .. and the opposite exactly happened with psych, with a slip in my score report .. HARD QS WILL NOT AFFECT UR SCORE ..

u ll have difficult questions, u ll not be sure in most of the exam questions, u ll see a few questions from Mars .. but if u have a gd judgment u ll be safe ..

dg judment will help u solving qs right when u are at near the end of ur exam, when u cant make ur brain remember data but rather it works on its ..
gd jugment doesnt mean to know hard question, but to know questions that odin and me do them simply ..

finally this was my opinion and I hope i was clear .. Dont hesitate to contact me .. Good luck frn ..
thanks fcbarcelona..

that is what we may call the habit of picking up right answers.. or 'boardsmanship' Smile..and practice makes one perfect in that.. however, the precise data recall part is still the biggie on exam..

again thanks for your comments and a logical example.. Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »