Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question:can any one answer me - usmle_wanted
iplz explain this ques for me
A 48yrs man comes to physicianbecause of an odd discoloration of his skin. herecently began to notice that he looks suntanned,even though itis middle of winter. a full work up of this abnormal skin pigmentation shows diabetes mellitus and increased levels of serum ferritin and transferrin saturation. he admitted to the hospital for liver biobsy and the biobsy is sent to pathology which stain can be used in addition to (HX &E)
a-acid fast
b-congo red
c-gram stain
d-prussian blue
(ans is D but i want an explanation fo the case)
this patients diabetes invariably resulted from haemochromatosi ( increase iron load in the body)which has destroyed the pancreas.it is also deposited in the liver and may lead to cirrhosis.it is also responsible for the hyperpigmentation seen here.
prussian blue is a histochemical stain used to stain iron containing materials which would give a postive result here.
acid fast for tb
congo red for amyloid materials
gram stain for bacteria.
hope this helps....gl.
This patient is a classic case of a condition referred to as " bronze diabetes " seen in haemochromatosis. This is characterised by diabetes mellitus secondary to deposition of excess iron in the pancreas, as well as " bronzing" or hyperpigmentation of the skin resembling a suntan. Prussian blue stains iron, therefore it should be used.
thanks alot guys
what about periodic acid -sciff stain and trichrome stain and reticulin stain
in which do these stains used ?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »