Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
passed CS:my experience - docc05
hi guys,

Took CS on october 3 at LA and my new usmle transcripts were resent on November 2 and oasis updated today.

ok guys,now its time for me to help other people from my exam experience.I wont be telling what to read and how to prepare.I think everybody knows that USMLEWORLD is the best source and the best way to prepare is by practising again and again........what i will be telling the mistakes I did in the exam and the reason why I thought I failed the exam.but I CLEARED the exam. I called three of the hospitals from which I got interview two days back and they told me i passed.

Mistake number one: first SP,as soon the enconter started she asked me challenging question.i was stunned ,i was not expecting this as soon as I entered the room.i was preparing myself to ask Qs.I am an IMG.I can speak well in english if I am prepared before answering any question....so I FUMBLED a lot.what a bad way to start a exam like this??communication skills??

Mistake number two: In a case of upp. extr pain, i forgot to do tinels and phalens.

mistake number three:one of the SP was not able to understand my Q and she asked me repeat it twice and even after repeating twice slowly,she was staring at me and not answering my question.I just moved on.

mistake number four:In three of the encounters, I draped only after doing half of the PE.....suddenly realized that something was missing on the SPs leg.said sorry to them and draped them immediately.

mistake number five:while closing the encounter, i was giving d/ds in medical term like mallory weis syndrome,etc.........the point is i did not use lay mans language most of the time.

mistake number six: this is the biggest blunder i made in the exam.I was not able read(didnot even read once) a pediatric case from UW and i got that case in the exam....i was shocked to see that case in the doorway information.i was thinking about possible d/d and Qs to ask.all other candidates entered the room and i was standing alone outside.moreover i thought it to be a phone encounter and entered in WITHOUT KNOCKING THE DOOR.....as soon as entered there was an SP sitting inside.....I stared to sweat as she was surprised to see me in suddenly......i was asking Qs slowing thinking again again.only after my second Q,she asked me challenging question.I had no clue of what she asked and what i answered.THIS IS TRUE.I just blabbered something and she was nodding her head..........i came out with in 5 minutes. I was the last to enter and the first to come out.All the proctors were staring at me.it was so embarrasing to me.after coming out,while writing the PN i realised i had forgotten to ask even basic peds questions.but thank god it was my 11 case and I had only one to go after that.

mistake number seven: this occured in almost all encounters.I forgot to ask and do some obvious things.for example in dizzi,i forgot to ask about ear problems.

mistake number eight:My hand writing is horrible. i was just scribbling the PN.

mistake number nine:in almost all the encounters,I took my own time to ask Qs......had some long gap between Qs in most of the encounters.

these are mistakes i remember now.but i made many mistake more mistakes....the point i am trying to say is dont worry abou tthe mistakes u have commited in the exam.but ,i know its easily said than done.

I had no study partner and practised in front the mirror.used FA for PN.Just follow what USMLEWORLD says.u will be ok.

I will say some positive things about my exam:

1.I kept on asking R U confortable?..every now and then
2.while washing hand, i turned towards the SP and asked -Is there any thing else u forgot to tell me...3 SPs gave me additional information
3.i was smiling most of the time,NOT laughing.Most of the SPs smiled back to me.some were not even looking at me through out the encounter.
4.after completing a CNS case, SP told me i did a great job.i dont know whether he said it to all other examinees or not.
5.I never forgot to counsel regarding smoking,alcohol and safe sexual practices.

some tips: u prepare well.but u are tensed.right??......to overcome it I used power of spoken words..........i was telling to myself i am going to pass this exam no matter what it takes.i will clear this exam in my first attempt.and i am getting it done.i will face this exam with full of confidence and courage..........i was telling this to myself for almost 3 weeks before the exam as soon as i started to prepare for the exam,even though i did not read one peds case.it reduced my anxiety before and during the exam.

BUT, after finishing the exam i was NOT satisfied with my performance.then I started praying god(even before the exam i was praying).GOD answered my prayers. and I passed.........will answer all your questions.
Kudos to you, my friend! Congratulations!
hi congrats
thank u hsar and siminy
its very encouraging...thanks n congrats
hi!
congratulations, I'm going to have my exam there on the 2d of december.
Thanks
congratulations, and thanks for this post.
I am going for CS on Nov 29th
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »