Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re: 7 years rule to retake USMLEs - lhscd

hello, my friends

well, I asked this question several days ago.
I called NBME whether I can retake USMLEs that I already passed after 7 years.
Actually, I passed all usmle including step 3, however, the score was not good.
i passed step 1,2 in 2007 and step 3 in 2008.

I didn't match . So, I am planning to do PLAN B, that is , retaking USMLE doing my residency in my country.

I sent my question to NBME, they sent one website address as follows, however, I couldn't catch those words is appropriate for my situation.

So, please give me the right answer and help me.

Thank you in advance

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.usmle.org/General_Information...ml#retakes
Retakes
If you fail or do not complete a Step or Step Component and want to retake it, you must reapply by submitting a new application and fee.

For the computer-based examinations (Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 3), you may take the failed or incomplete examination no more than four times within a 12-month period.
For Step 2 CS, you may take the failed or incomplete evaluation no more than three times within a 12-month period.
If you pass a Step or Step Component, you are not allowed to retake it, except to comply with the time limit of a medical licensing authority for the completion of all Steps or a requirement imposed by another authority recognized by the USMLE program for this purpose. The medical licensing authority must provide information indicating that you are an applicant for licensure in that jurisdiction; have fulfilled all requirements for licensure in that jurisdiction; are eligible for licensure except for the out-of-date examination; and have completed the full USMLE sequence, including Step 3. Information regarding retakes allowed to comply with a requirement imposed by a recognized authority other than a medical licensing authority is provided at the time of exam application using ECFMG's Interactive Web Applications (IWA).

If you are repeating a Step or Step Component because of a time limit, you may apply to retake the examination only after the applicable time limit has expired. An exception to the policy of requiring the time limit to expire before applying to retake a previously passed Step or Step Component can be granted if, at the time of application and testing:

you are currently enrolled in an LCME- or AOAaccredited medical school program leading to the MD or DO degree;
you have previously passed Step 1 and/or Step 2 but have not passed Step 3;
you are expected to graduate from the medical school program six or more years after the date you first passed Step 1 and/or Step 2; and
you are otherwise eligible to retake the examination.
The number of attempts allowed to pass each Step or Step Component and the time allowed to complete all Steps vary among jurisdictions (see Special Note: Multiple Attempts). To obtain specific information, you should contact the medical licensing authority in the jurisdiction where you intend to apply for medical licensure or the FSMB for eligibility requirements for Step 3.

Once you get your ecfmg certificate that's it you can't take these steps again. However regarding step 3 you can do it again if you failed.
well I have the same problem nobody answered correctly in ecfmg or nmbe they just simply dont know one guy told me you have to take step 3 first they apply for the 2 other another guy told it is impossible to retake the exams I am sure it is possible but I dont know how?
if you have taken them all within 7 years and passed, then that is it. you cannot go back.
the seven year rule obliges you to take it again in order to get the ecfmg certification but as you already have it that point is mute.

you are stuck with those scores for life. even if you go to med school again, as they are linked to you name, place and date of birth and your photo....
also drpred, you might know this already anyway, but see each ind. state's requirements for licensure for USMLE which may help guide you to plan how to go about it also..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »