Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please help - nadia2012
i am so deppresed,,i faield 3 times ,,i work full time,,41 years,,i was told by my frinds to quit an look for another job,,,,i am usa citizn,,
Hi Nadia,
Now a days we have to be realistic…PD want to see a good scores, especially when the YOG (year of graduation) is >5 years …I do not know of what type of a job you do –is it in a healthcare field or???
You should try to improve your application with some Master Degree or something, otherwise will be very difficult .Now, nothing is impossible, but we have to be realistic .I have a friend who is marry to an attending at the residency program and she got a courtesy interview bc of her husband, but the PD told her “You have an attempt and I will rather take you with 81 and w/o an attempt, than like this”…
This is my last step and I will try to get into the psych residency and yet I have around 10 years of teaching experience (teaching physician assistants –PA ) ,plus research in the psych field, as well as clinical experience as an RN in 3 states ,but I am still starting Masters in Psychiatry to strengthen my resume and market myself better and god forbidden If I can’t get residency ,I can still open my own practice and see patients and prescribe psychotropic medications and make 15 %less than a psychiatrist.
You have to improve your resume, period, especially with an attempt and the best thing is to get some Masters from U.S.A,as well as to have a solid healthcare experience in U.S If you are away from patients for a long time ,plus an attempt ,plus 41 y/o old ,the chances are very slim. I am just as open as it gets….If you need to talk more, my e-mail is absolutellydriven2..
Warmly Yours,
Antonella
so you think i have to quiet
I didn't say that nadia2012..Do I look like I am quitting???
However, we have to have a backup plan and I do not know of what else to tell you...Some people just hang their ECFMG in the wall and feel like at least they got that and some people just move forward and change carrier or find another way to make a good living...Each one of us is differant.Some people just linger to achieve this dream and then end up doing whatever jobs bc they are afraid to start something new. I am not quiting, but yet as I describe I have a backup plan .They are old img who worked as doctors in their own country and they do not have gap in their carriers, so when they are coming here ,they will get a decent score, plus a paid healthcare experience or extensive volunteer work with good network and they have a chance. However if someone has been away from patients and away from the system with none of the above and plus attempts –the chances are very slim. Most of the people in America hold jobs and support their families a, so no one will feel sympathetic for that. It is your choice and your Life, but from my experience –isn’t going to be easy and it is getting even harder.PD need letter (LOR ) form here and no one will give you an LOR for the sake of giving it-we have to earn it bc no one will put the names on hold neither for you or me.This is not our uncles or friends who will do it for us back home. The competition is tough and residency programs want to keep their reputation by getting solid candidates that are “filter” true many hoops and humps….Sometimes if you are willing to go to Iowa or Alaska or find programs that do not care about YOG,nor scores, nor attempts, but you have to look for it, but yet you have to compensate your attempts with hands on experience and good LOR’s.GL to you or anyone in the same situation..!!
Cio,
Antonella
Hi Nadia,
Sorry to hear that. I also failed 3 times. I know this feeling but I would think about it like this: the exam is tough=needs more preparation or changing the study plan even if it takes years to read as much as possible stuff. I would try study partner method it is the only way to get motivated. Let me know if you want to discuss more: flwer760
All the best
thank you so much
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »