Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please suggest - zinetac
what are the ways to prove yourself that you are a very good and deserving candidate during observership as you are not allowed to touch the patient and just shadow the physician.

Please give your valuable suggestions. Thanks.
Offer to present cases
Research about the ailment and the next rounds...u give your input but u have to do that at the right timing without coming off as a show off
Ask attendings if they have interesting cases they want to publish and that u can help them with that
Even thou you are not allowed to touch the patient, you still are allowed to discuss the patient with the physician. So that's the time you can show your knowledge and interest. Ask questions, make discussions on treatment plan etc. Ask to make a presentation!

During my observership I was told - you will not be judged on how much you know, we are looking for teachable students, not very smart ones already! So observership is not for you to shine with your knowledge as to show your interest and dedication.
well said beibelita,

If you finished a medical school, passed your steps everybody knows that you are smart alreadySmile

Programs look for teachable applicants; there where your personality, friendliness, eagerness to work, dedication to the specialty, agreeableness, your being team member, invitation on the projects, coming up with ideas, problem solving skills comes. I can go on and on...

Most PDs have been around for a while, they know how to filter applicants who are fake or really interested in. Be yourself, and impress them without coming across as aggressive.

Best luck.
Observerships are worthless. What you need are the LORS!!!!! if u can work for a day with a person who is very receptive yo you go for it. Nobody will check your BS obersvership. Get the LORS and the Blah Blah USCE showing PDs that u are still in the game. but dont bankrupt yourself for this.
Thank you all so much for your reply. May god bless you all.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »