Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help: J1 visa question - drsams
I have one important question about J1 visa. If someone does 1 year preliminary position on J1 visa, do they have to go back to their country for 2 years or get a waiver so that they can do another full 3 year residency? Or this J1 rule does not apply to moving from preliminary position to categorical one? Whoever knows, please help. Anyone in similar situation, please share your experiences. Thanks
no, j1 can be for maximum 7 yrs.
But you have to apply for renewal of J1 6 months before it expires i.e. if you have preliminary position on J1 you have to apply for extention within first 6 months and it means you have to find categorical residency by then
Thank you doctorsrk and mamoon for your guidance. I have one more question. If I try and get a preliminary position for a year, they will approve me J1 for one year, right? Or do they give you J1 for 4 years considering that you will try to get a full position next year? If they give J1 only for a year for preliminary position and I do not get a full term residency for some reason within first 6 months and hence I do not apply for extension of J1 6 month before it expires, what happens? Do I have to go back to my country for 2 years? Please shed some light on this issue. I would really appreciate. Thanks again.
Has anyone started fillinf in programs for ROL?
It seems some programs like woodhull, NY have not yet enlisted for NRMP. Hope this does not mean they are not participating in the match??
answers and help welcome.
Dear if you have only preliminary contract then they will approve J1 for 1 year only but if you have 1 year preliminary contract as well as 3 year subspecilty contract starting from next year then they will approve J1 for 4 years. In the first case if you donot find 3 year residency within first 6 months then after expiration of contract you should leave USA for 2 years. Thats why people apply simultaneously in preliminar and 3 year subspecilty. I hope you got it now.
Thanks mamoon, I really appreciate your response and advice. So does this also mean that even if I get full 3 year contract during last 6 months of preliminary year, they will not renew my visa? And I have to go back for 2 years. I would appreciate your response. Thank you very much again and sorry to ask so many questions.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »